Chapter 10: Soldiers

Thank you for 5k!!

"Today will be your first, and for many of you, your final practical examination!"

Shadis' voice boomed throughout the courtyard, as you heard a collective gulp from the cadets around you. Eren and Connie looked like they had just seen a ghost, whilst the rest of the cadets were anywhere between dread and confidence. 

The stern-faced instructor wasted no time with lining you and the other cadets up to take the 3DMG test. About a third of the cadets failed outright, the other third barely made it, and the final few, which consisted of you, Mikasa, and a few other high fliers passed without a hitch. But as fate would have it, your close friend, Eren Yeager, would be the last to take the test.

"Eren Yaeger, are you ready?"

"Yes!" 

You patted your friend on the back before he walked up to the balancing frame. "You've got this." you affirmed, as he nodded back.

"Begin!"

An assistant supervisor began to reel him up. He shook for a second, but then... 

"I did it!" 

Eren shouted! You clenched your fists, willing him to stabilise for just a few more seconds, but then...

BAM!

Your friend dangled upside down in a clumsy mess of wires, his face was laced with denial and shock. There wasn't any way this was happening, he HAD to pass, you didn't come all this way to be separated from your closest friends. You knew that Eren wasn't some flunk, whether something was wrong or not, you had to come through for your friend as you had done for the past few years you'd spent together. Now, more than ever.

"I- I'm not giving up yet!"  

"Put him down..."

"Instructor!"

Shadis' piercing eyes darted to you, as you stood with one hand raised in the air. "I ask permission to inspect Eren's belt, I'm familiar with the engineering of this model of harness, and I suspect there might be a defect."

Shadis looked you straight in the eye for another second, before nodding. 

"Granted"

You crouched down to inspect his belt, as he eyed you with a surprised look. After removing the harness, you quickly noticed a uniform crack down the centre of the right fitting, almost a third of the harnesses support was completely dislocated...

You held up the belt to Shadis. "The fitting on his belt is badly damaged." You proclaimed, as collective gasps and whispers were heard from the majority of the cadets.

"With the composure of this material, the only way that this component could've been damaged this badly is-"

"Noted, Cadet,  I'll have to add this to the maintenance checklist."

Shadis interrupted you, his grey eyes still scanning you intently as he took the belt from you. "Wagner, change belts with Yeager!"

... 

Eren was now balancing perfectly with the non-defective gear, more gasps were heard, as a confident grin filled Eren's once gloomy face. "I've never heard of this part being defective, well spotted, Niels." Shadis said to you as he looked at you sternly. "Yes sir." You responded, glaring back at him. 

"Th- Then, do I pass?"

"You're fine. Commence training!"

"I guess it all worked out..." Reiner sighed, as your two other friends stared at Eren wide-eyed.  "He's looking at us, as if he's saying 'I told you I could do it!'" Armin remarked to Mikasa.

"No..." Mikasa uttered, "He's relieved because he finally knows that we wont have to be separated now." 

You all smiled and looked onwards. Your closest friends had all passed the examinations, and you were finally ready to begin the real training. 

'Grisha... Today your son has become a solider...'

...

"(Y/N), how the hell will I ever repay you?! Please just tell me so I can do it!" Your aquamarine eyed friend pleaded with you, as his hands were firmly gripping both your shoulders. Reiner and Berthold chuckled as they ladled out their supper next to you. "Eren... I already told you, you don't have to repay me, I just pointed out a defect in your belt..."

"No! You don't understand! If you didn't bail me out, I would've been screwed..." 

You sighed once more, before ruffling his hair, and pulling him into a one-armed hug. "You can repay be my not being a pain, and letting me eat my bread." You said with a grin, grabbing a roll from the platter behind him and going to sit down with Mikasa and Armin. He got his composure together and chuckled, "Yeah yeah, whatever..." He mumbled with a smile, grabbing his food and moving to sit down with the three of you.

Your comrades seemed to have all eyes on you, chit chatting about your 'moment' earlier today. Even a few of the quieter cadets were glancing at you every now and again, most notably, a taller, freckled girl and a stone faced blonde. "Good job on figuring out the issue with Eren's belt, (Y/N), I have no idea how you even did it..." Armin said with a smile, as Mikasa nodded. You lent in and began to whisper. "Guys, if I'm being honest, it was a complete fluke-"

"Niels!"

The mess hall went silent as Shadis called your faux name. "A quick word."  

You followed the instructor outside, as he began to speak. "I'm aware that the defect in Yeager's belt was likely due to a sabotage. I'm looking into it, so I'd rather you keep this information under wraps as to not scare away any potential suspects."

You gave a sigh of relief. "I'm glad, sir. It makes more sense as to why you interrupted me back then, now."

For the first time, you actually saw him let out a faint smile. "Go enjoy your meal, cadet." 

"Yes sir." 

...

Here you were again, in bed... You couldn't help but laugh. Everything was moving at a million miles an hour, but you and your friends were still together.

'Hmm... Being Mr. Popular isn't so bad...'  you thought, as you drifted to sleep.