Chapter 9: Buckets

Thank you for 3k!

A big yawn filled your chest as you sat up and stretched your arms outwards, filling each joint and tendon with a satisfying buzz. Amber light illuminated the windows ever so slightly as all the boys laid as still as rocks under their sheets, making it fairly obvious how early it was. 'I guess going to sleep early paid off...'  you thought to yourself, as Connie let out the loudest snore you've probably ever heard from a human.

You thought that you might as well head to the river to wash yourself and brush your teeth before anyone else was there, you had an eventful day ahead of you after all, and this might be a good opportunity to clear your head. After lacing up your boots and readying your jacket, you headed quietly out of the barracks and moved through the training fields towards the river. 

You scrubbed your face with your hands after dousing yourself with the river water, but just as you were taking out your wooden toothbrush, you heard a slight rustle in the woodland not too far behind you. You turned around to see a small figure knelt down in the direction away from you, there were a few wooden buckets scattered around her, and she seemed to filling one of them up in a small stream that you didn't notice was there before.

It seemed like she hadn't seen you, and if she did, she was pretending she didn't. "Hello?" You called out. You heard an "Eep!" as a she jolted up, spilling half the contents of the bucket over herself. You guess she hadn't seen you. She quickly turned her head around to reveal a girl who you recognised from the entrance ceremony, you strained your eyes, trying to remember who she was. 'Petite, blonde hair, blue eyes, cute. Wait, what? Cute? When have I ever used that word? Whatever, must be something in the water. What was her name again? Kelly? Crysta-'  

"I'm so sorry!" She broke you out of your bizarre train of thought as she began to speak. "I'm Christa Lenz, sorry if I startled you!" She expressed sincerely, her eyes wide with a look of guilt. "Uh, I think I'm the one who startled you. Are you alright?" 

"Um, yes! I'm fine." She stuttered out with an awkward laugh towards the end. You scratched your head and pointed to the stream. "Do you need help with those buckets?" 

She paused for a second, before quickly glancing at the wooden vessels next to her. "No! I couldn't possibly bother you with all this!" She continued, with the same awkward laugh. "No, seriously, it's not like I have anything else to do." You responded with a reassuring smile, getting up to go and help. "You're up pretty early, what are all those buckets of water for?" you asked with a grin, pointing towards the assortment of neatly lined buckets she was kneeling beside.

She quickly glanced at the buckets, then back at you with the same wide eyes. "Oh, it's just drinking water for my barracks, I don't want anyone waking up thirsty!" She finished with an awkward smile. "Isn't this supposed to be a group activity though? You don't need to do this all by yourself, you know." You responded with a confused expression. What was the deal with this girl? 

She diverted her eyes to the stream, her face beginning to sport a glum expression. "I know that, it's just... I don't want to put anyone through trouble..." 

"You know, if you keep up with that way of thinking, you'll only wear yourself down and end up doing more harm than good for the people you care about. It's okay to let your friends help you."

Her glance shot to meet your eyes once more, seemingly taken aback by what you said. She stared for a bit longer, before looking away again. "Maybe... But we've only been here for a couple of days, so I wouldn't say I have any friends yet."

Her demeanour seemed to have completely changed. She seemed more... Solid? You laughed before responding. "Well, I guess I'm you're friend now, since I'm helping you and all... Names (Y/N), by the way." 

For some reason, she seemed to snap right back into her 'smiley girl' persona, as if it was out of habit. Almost as if she were forcing herself to be that way, for whatever reason. "Well, it's nice to meet you, (Y/N)." 

Neither of you said anything else as you began filling the buckets.

Just as you were both bringing down the last four buckets, the morning bell rang. About two minutes passed before cadets began flooding out on the courtyard as you and Christa were chatting happily about summer childhood memories, with the weather being as it is now. As you both placed the buckets outside the girls barracks, Christa apologised for bothering you about four times before you eventually said your farewells to get in line for role call. 

It was just as you were walking back that you were met with the most menacing glares you've ever seen from Eren, Connie, and many of the other boys. Confused at what could possibly going on, you jogged towards your friends to get in line next to them. "(Y/N), you sly dog..." Eren commented with a sadistic grin as he elbowed your arm. You gave him a confounded look, "Sly? For what?"

"We saw all that, smiling and laughing, tch... OF COURSE  you'd be the one to land the cutest babe in the corps..." He monologued with a scowl, elbowing your other arm. 

"A soldier must know when to accept defeat..."  Thomas said towards the ground glumly. You finally cottoned on to what they were getting at. 

"Seriously? Guys? It's not even like that."  

"Really."

Mikasa commented, not even looking to face you as she stared into the distance with an ice cold expression.  You looked desperately towards Armin, knowing that if anyone was going to defend you, it would be him. He just looked at you and shrugged in the most sarcastic way you could possibly imagine, with a smirk to beat. 

You huffed and looked forwards towards the front of the crowd, where Shadis was about to begin the roll call. "You guys are hopeless." 

Eren and Armin let out a giggle, as you heard Reiner mumbling something to himself in front of you. 

"I'm so damn jealous..."