Chapter 11 - That Man

A/N:
I found a grammatical error while reading over just now, nothing has changed!
- Rolo

Y/N's POV
-----------------------

"Oh yeah, he did!" Zenistu said as I told Inosuke that Tanjiro has previously mentioned his name.

Inosuke squints at Y/N, still hoping to remember where he has seen her before until he gets snapped out of his thoughts by a piercing scream.

We all whip our heads around in the direction it came from as Yuka let's out another ear piercing scream, her hand covering her mouth, shaking in fear. I stand and stare in shock, my hands instinctively hovering over my ears as Yuka was standing next to me.

Why now of all times, yet I'm glad it was now of all times.

A demon.

I look over to Tanjiro and the others for help, but he didn't notice as he was too busy thinking things over.

"We'll be back!" called Tanjiro as he rushed to the aid of many.

Luckily, so far, no one appeared to be injured. The large crowd gathered to see what the girl first screamed about, then immediately flinched back in unison once the dangerous demon turned man lurched at them. They stampeded away. I stand in horror as the four approach the now fleeing crowd, a look of pure rage across Tanjiro's face. He must know the cause.

Muzan Kibutsuji.

After a while of scrutinizing the crowd, I spot Muzan straying from it with his head down, hat covering his face.

I hesitate before yelling at the top of my lungs and indicating toward the person who had caused this mess, "Over there!"

I catch Nezuko's attention first, and she glances over to where I indicated. She looks confused at first, and then I remember that she has never actually seen Muzan after her own incident of turning into a demon, so I'm sure she has no recollection of him. Thankfully, she quickly tapped Tanjiro's shoulder before he engaged in battle with the newly turned demon, and he turns around to look at the direction she was pointing. He was far away by now, but Tanjiro visibly realized immediately who the man he saw was as rage once more spread across his face.

Tanjiro's POV
-----------------------

"Inosuke, Zenitsu, I need you both to fight him back. You see, I barely have time to explain, but," he looks down to the ground in a bitter manner, "but he was once human like us."

"How is that possible! Do you not see the intent to kill in its eyes!" Zenistu said, flinching back as he peeked over Nezuko's shoulder to look at the demon lurching as he was hiding behind her.

"On it!" said Inosuke, already restraining the struggling demon, "You won't get away!"

"You might need to hold out until morning, since our swords can't be seen by the public eye. We don't want to be seen as a threat," Tanjiro said before taking off in the direction of that man.

Nezuko's POV
-----------------------

Tanjiro took off to where I previously pointed as per Y/N's instruction. She seemed desperate, trying to capture any one of our eyes to only point in a simple gesture over to the left. I had no idea what she was pointing at, but somehow Tanjiro did when I mimicked her.

He gave mostly Inosuke instruction on what to do before he ran off, as that Zenistu person hid shamelessly behind me. Occasionally, he peeked over my shoulder to see if the demon was dead yet.

It was festival season, so I knew all of the smells in the vicinity was messing up Tanjiro's enhanced sense of smell. He pushed his way into the fleeing crowd, stopped to find what he was looking for by using his sense of smell and sense of sight before frustratingly slapping his hand to his face for not being able to find what he sought after.

I could easily spot him due to his checkered haori.

"What are you looking at, Nezuko!" Zenistu said, all too happy for the current situation as Inosuke laughed in the background.

I pointed at Tanjiro despite my annoyance toward Zenitsu.

"Oh!" he suddenly says loudly, annoying me further as he turns his head in the completely wrong direction, "Y/N is approaching! Y/N! Run away! A terrifying creature is over there!" he gestured at the demon with a disgusted and scared look upon his face.

She laughs and then proceeds to talk in a calm manner, "I'm sure Inosuke can handle it."

"That's right!" Inosuke said, struggling slightly, but then he fully restrains it once more, "Haha! You can't escape now!"

"Nezuko, did your brother go off in the direction I indicated to?" Y/N asked after placing her full attention on me.

Before nodding, I take on her appearance once more. She was indeed the prettiest person I have ever seen, almost otherworldly.

This thought got me thinking even deeper.

"Nezuko?" she tries again, snapping me out of contemplation, so I nod in response.

"Well that's no surprise because he's not here," said Zenitsu in a monotonous way, "Also, didn't you see him run that way?"

Y/N places her hand over her mask, over where her forehead should be, "I did, but I was just making sure."

I nod once again, to show I'm on her side. She slightly laughs at my effort in a friendly way, showing that it was amusing for me to take her side and not Zenitsu's.

"So, Zenitsu," she continues, "Why aren't you the one holding down the demon over there?"

Zenistu immediately comes out from behind me as his face blushed a bright red, then he seemed to realize something, "Wait, how come you were able to identify that as a demon? Most can't as they have never really been taught about them. Unless... you're a type of demon slayer?"

Y/N flinches in a way before taking a step back, "Who doesn't know what a demon is? And what's a demon slayer?" she says nervously.

By now I've come to realize that Zenistu actually has a point.

I look over at Y/N suspiciously.

Just who was she to know about demons? And why did she point where Tanjiro immediately took off? What was she hiding?

Then it clicked.

I quickly grab her wrist.