Chapter 16 - His Situation

A/N:

I'm sure you southerners know about the fun Hurricane Ida! I'm currently evacuated from my home, but I promised! I present chapter 16! ALSO WHY AND HOW DID THE READS DOUBLE?

Y/N's POV
———————————————————————

"About what I was saying earlier," Makoto says, crouched, while placing the bandages into his small satchel. He had just finished treating Inosuke and Tanjiro to the best of his abilities, and I was handing him the supplies he used to him.

"Yes?" I urge him to continue, intrigued as to what was so important.

"I told your blonde friend over there," he gestures toward Zenitsu, "that you are in absolute danger at the moment."

My eyes widen a little in shock, but then I remember my situation and roll my eyes, "Well, obviously I am." Being stuck in a world that isn't my own, all the while having different features from everyone else, is, in fact, dangerous."

"So you know that your quote on quote "owner" is after you?" he asks hurriedly, glancing behind him as he swings the satchel over his shoulder and standing up.

"The guy in the long, black robe?" I answer with another question.

"Yes, has he spotted you?"

"No, but I've got bigger problems," I shook my head.

"This guy is insane! Nothing can be worse than getting on his bad side!" He lightly grips my shoulder in a worried manner.

I push his hand away, shaking my head yet again in refusal, "You don't understand, I have way more important things to think about at the moment," I briefly pause and then add, "and if worse comes to worse, I have them to protect me."

We both turn to look at the group.

"Come on! Give me back my nichirin blade!" Zenitsu says with agitation as he snatches the sword away from Inosuke.

Makoto casts an even more worried expression in my direction.

"Okay, I still have Tanjiro and Nezuko, and believe me, that's more than enough."

"Is Nezuko that demon girl that's traveling with the two of you?" Makoto looks toward the box.

"Yes, she is," I say without much thought, then I snap my head in his direction, "What did you just say?"

Makoto slightly chuckles, "I asked if that demon was Nezuko."

"You know about demons?" I exclaim.

"I guess I failed to mention my knowledge of them," his smile fades, "Actually, I use to be a demon slayer myself. With my brother, of course."

"Oh, really?" I readjust the mask on my face, "Is that why Oyakata asked a few demon slayers to go searching for an otherworlder?"

This looks to be news to Makoto, "What? He never associates with anyone that isn't a demon or demon slayer."

"I don't mean to be rude and interrupt your conversation, but I heard the two of you talking about Oyakata. I'm assuming you are acquainted with him somehow," Tanjiro says while approaching. He quickly bowed his head slightly as a sign of respect.

"Ah yes, I was a demon slayer when I was your age," Makoto smiles.

"You aren't one now?" Tanjiro tilt his head in confusion.

Makoto seems as though he does not want to give a response, "Certain situations caused me to never want to see a demon again."

"I understand, I apologize for prying," Tanjiro says frantically, waving his arms out in front of him. He clutches the straps of the box that holds Nezuko.

"It's quite alright," Makoto's smile reappears, "You also don't have to be so obvious about the fact that you're hiding a demon right there," he points straight at the box.

Tanjiro flinches and excuses himself from the conversation.

"That wasn't very nice," I say to Makoto.

"How about you come with me?" he was blankly starring in the direction of the trio.

"What do you mean?"

"You'd be safer with my brother and I," he turns toward me, "Sure, my brother may be missing his arm, but I bet he's more capable than them."

I take a step away from him, "No. I may have known you longer since I've been here, but I trust them more because I know their personalities."

"Please, I don't want you to get hurt by anyone."

"Why are you so persistent on this topic?"

He sighs in defeat, his hand on his forehead, "I apologize if I seemed like a creep. It's just, my sister-in-law was an Otherworlder."

"What does that have to do with me?" my eye brows knit together in deep confusion.

"I've been looking for my niece, okay?" he says harshly, his hand slid over his face.

"Your niece? Was she taken or something?" my expression softens.

"I don't even know if she's alive. My brother's stupid wife went along with her Otherworlder best friend and got into some trouble with a demon," he looks up, "That's why I'm involved with so many illegal groups."

"And you're telling me this why?"

"So you can help," he sighs again, "You said you know those kids really well even though you just met, so I'm assuming you know of this world in some way."

"How observant," I clear my throat, "Well, you're right, this world was a sort of book you could say." I turn to look at him and hope flamed in his eyes.

Silence overtook our long conversation.

"I told you my secret," he says after the long silence, "What's your big problem right now."

"Oh, about that," I trail off.

"What is it?"

I wince, "I'm kind of in trouble with a demon myself."

Disappointment and worry washed over his face.

A/N:
I bet some of you expected me to post another update giving another excuse!