Chapter 21 - A Victory and A Loss

...Enjoy? (This is the longest chapter by far. I'm writing another chapter because I'm so close to the end, and motivation for finishing this so I can revamp it is taking over).

And non-spoiler people: There may be one sentence you may not understand, but I do not want to make a whole new chapter just to change a single sentence. Plus, this sentence isn't even a manga spoiler since I do not give any names (a compromise I decided on). I will put a "*" in front of the sentence before the sentence I'm referring to in case you really don't want to read it, but trust me, it will not spoil a thing.

Muzan's POV
———————————————————————

A few years back, one of my underlings, Bain to be exact, discovered his demon blood art was a universe-surpassing technique. When receiving this information, I was obviously intrigued. The demon race I have created surpassed the universe? What a great feat! I immediately summoned Bain to my side and said I would grant him more of my blood if he were to abduct a living being in the universe he could momentarily transport to. Bain, being a weak demon, happily obliged and brought forth a mere female mortal. Not wanting to kill her immediately, I had extracted some of her blood to see the effects consuming her may have. Just a few drops of her blood allowed the underling I used as subject to bask in the glorious daylight without fear, though only briefly before perishing. Finally, a feasible solution to our flaw!

*This human eventually disappeared from my clutches thanks to her demon slayer friends and her otherworlder alibi. One of the upper moons was aware of this situation and attempted to aide in the recapture of the first otherworlder alongside Bain. I label this as an attempt because it failed, but I realized Bain had access to a whole world with sun-repelling blood.

This dream vanished just as fast as a demon does in the light of day.

The next human Bain had captured did not have the same blood properties as the first, and I eventually banned Bain from ever summoning another otherworlder again due to the fact that they all kept disappearing and escaping.

A few years after the otherworlder craze, I discovered that Bain simply refused to adhere to my order due to the temptation of wealth. Wealth. Something a disgusting human would do anything for. I was livid to say the least, but then that girl was brought into this world. With a mere glance, I could immediately determine that she harbored the blood of the first otherworlder, so I decided to forgive Bain's venial error as long as he brought the girl into my grasp.

He had no idea I was "That Man" though, so I had an advantage over him.

"Bain!" the other demon finally looks in my direction during all of the commotion, and he has a fascinating look of horror on his gaunt face, "Capture the girl before she gets away!"

  He hesitates in his tracks in fear before ripping his weapon from the annoying human's limp body, "Your word is law," he rushes toward the girl.

  Meanwhile, I approached the human who threw the second nichirin blade that I had to doge, "Oh?" I say to the familiar face, "You're the pesky demon slayer who stole the first otherworlder during her transport to me."

"You won't succeed," the man says weakly, "Just like last time. Not in my lifetime at least."

I smile bitterly before stomping out his remaining flame of life, "Pathetic."