That's What Friends Are For

You stared down at the packet on the desk, trying to resist the urge to crumple it up and throw it at someone. Today just didn't seem to be your day. You had no idea how you were going to complete this work while also managing to get a good grade. Normally work like this managed to make at least some sense, but the words and problems staring back at you looked like a foreign language. "This doesn't make sense," you whispered to yourself as you fiddled with your pencil.

"What doesn't make sense?"

You nearly jumped out of your skin and whirled around. There, your eyes met with Ford, who seemed to be startled by your reaction. "Oh, gosh, (Y/N), I didn't mean to frighten you," He rubbed the back of his neck, a nervous habit that you began to pick up on. "No, no, it's okay," You chuckled as you began to calm down. "We need to stop meeting like that, though."

"Yeah, really," He said. "Mind if I sit with you?"

You smiled at him. "Not at all,"

Ford nodded and took a seat across from you, just like yesterday. "So what doesn't make sense?" He asked again.

"My math work," You sighed. "Normally I can manage with it, but today just, well, I don't know." Ford appeared thoughtful for a moment, then turned to look at the worksheet. A few moments of silence passed before he spoke up. "Would you want me to try to explain it to you?"

You glanced up at him, not expecting the offer. "Are you sure?" You asked. "I mean, don't you have your own work? I don't want to overwhel-"

"(Y/N), really, it's all right." Ford cut you off. "After all, we're friends, aren't we? We agreed to help each other. Let me see it,"

You smiled, then motioned for him to move his chair beside you. Ford obliged, hefting his chair and moving it beside you. Once he settled again, he turned to analyze your page.

"Ah, here's the issue," Ford observed. He picked up a sheet of notebook paper and copied down the problem. You followed his quick movements, staring at his neat penmanship. He explained the process of solving the problem, working as he spoke. After he finished explaining a step, he would avert his gaze to you, making sure you were following and understanding. Once he finished working through the first problem, he turned back to you. "Do you want to try?"

You looked back at the worksheet, hesitantly nodding. He wordlessly passed you the pencil and the notebook paper. His words echoed in your mind as you began to write. Ford nodded eagerly as you worked, smiling at you.
"See?" He said once you finished the second problem. "You're getting the hang of it! You're doing great!" You blushed slightly in response to the praise he gave you. "Well, I do have a great teacher. Thank you, Ford. I was getting so stressed out over this."

"Don't mention it," He said nonchalantly. "That's what friends are for." He moved his chair across from you again. He opened up his backpack and began stacking books and papers on his side of the desk. "How has the whole college experience been for you so far?" He asked.

You shrugged and looked back down at the packet, working through the third problem as you answered. "Uneventful. I'm just going through the motions, getting through classes, you know. In all honesty, I'm actually sort of homesick."

"Yeah, same here. What was your home life like?"

"Well, there were my parents, and then my sibling(s) (if you have any.), and we were pretty happy. My parents always encouraged my dreams, and even if I didn't want to attend this college, they were still supportive and helped out in any way they could. If I have time, I'm hoping to visit them sometime while I'm here. What about you? How were things for you?"

Ford stiffened a little. "Well, uhm," He thought for a moment. "I'm from Glass Shard Beach, New Jersey. My dad is a strict man. Tough, stern, and not easily impressed. My mom..." he trailed off, laughing a little. "She's a pathological liar." You laughed at this, and he shook his head, laughing with you. "I'm serious! She's a phone psychic. Needless to say, most of the calls were overpriced, and they weren't genuine predictions or fortunes."

"Any siblings? Pets?" You asked.

"There was no way dad would've allowed a pet in the house. I really used to want one, though." Ford's smile wavered. "And, well, for siblings," He hesitated. "I have two brothers," He said finally. "The younger one is named Shermie. He's a baby, so I'm probably going to be missing out on the earlier stages of his life."

"What about the other one?" You pressed on, intrigued.

"He..." Ford seemed to be at a loss for words. You picked up on the strange behavior. "Hey, you don't have to tell me if you don't want to."

Ford's brown eyes met you (E/C) ones. "Sorry, (Y/N). Things are just, well, complicated with my other brother."

"I understand," You reassured him. "You don't have to tell me anything you're uncomfortable with sharing. It's your life. I'm sorry for pushing you." You added the last part quietly. "It's okay. I'll tell you eventually. I just need some time to process that still is all." Ford reassured you.

*TIMESKIP*

Comfortable silence hung in the air as you worked. The only conversation breaking that silence was when either of you had a question or needed something like a pencil or an eraser. It was nice, you had to admit. Ford's presence was calming, and you didn't feel distracted by him at all.

"Oh, shoot." You said as you glanced at the clock on the wall. "It's getting late. I should probably get going."

Ford, who was engrossed in whatever book he was reading, took a few seconds before looking up at you. "I'll see you around, (Y/N). Hopefully next time I won't scare you again."

"You better not. I don't know how much more of that I can take before going into cardiac arrest."

Ford smiled at the joke, and for a brief moment, you felt a flicker of nervousness in your gut. You quickly pushed it away. "See you later, Ford." You waved as you packed up your things.