Dungeons, Dungeons, and More Dungeons

After Ford confessed his feelings, things only seemed to become better and better. You both plowed through your classes; Ford had gotten one of his PhDs three years ahead of schedule, you nearly finishing your courses with a stellar GPA. Ford seemed noticeably happier, too. His enthusiasm around you never wavered. If anything, it had grown stronger. You were both on cloud nine, taking any opportunity you could to be together.

Today was no exception. You walked alongside him with a little skip in your step. Your fingers wrapped around his instinctively, which had become a habit -- you could hardly register the presence of the other finger, now. "Are you excited to go to the library?" Ford asked.

You rolled your eyes. "Oh, yeah, super excited. More dust-covered books and cramming knowledge into my skull. How fun." Ford looked down at you with a raised eyebrow. "You're normally more eager to go than this. What's going on?" You rubbed your temple with your free hand. "Ford, we've been going to the library after school for weeks, now. We really need to do something, anything, other than that!" Ford frowned. "(Y/N), my studies..."

"You've been studying ever since we got here, Ford. It's all you ever do. You just got one of your PhDs! We need to celebrate!" You looked up at him with pleading eyes. He pressed his lips together in a straight line, watching you, then sighed. "All right," He caved. "We'll do something tonight."

Eagerly, you jumped up and hugged him. "Thank you, Ford! Thank you, thank you, thank you!" He stumbled back before he embraced you back with a chuckle. "You're welcome, (Y/N). Besides, I can't have my girlfriend being upset, now can I?" Immediately, your face reddened, and you drew back. "What did you call me?"

Ford's cheeks reddened as well, and he pulled one of his arms away to rub the back of his neck. "I.. I mean, well, I just-"

"I was waiting for you to call me that." You said with mock annoyance. "It took my boyfriend long enough."

A smile grew onto his features. "For a second there, I thought you were uncomfortable with the label."

You shook your head, hugging him again. "I love it, Fordsie." Ford cocked his head. "Well, that's a new one." You two began to walk again. You looked down at the pavement as you walked. "Is that an issue? The name? I just came up with it." Ford shook his head. "I love it," He wrapped his arm around you, pulling you close. "Alright, then, girlfriend, what do you want to do tonight? Serenity's?"

"Their glazed donuts are enticing, but I feel like we should do something different tonight." You pondered the possibilities as you walked, Ford waiting patiently, guiding you both along back in the direction of your dorm. An idea sprang into mind, and you looked up at Ford. "Have you ever played Dungeons, Dungeons, and More Dungeons?"

Time Skip brought to you by Soos

Ford stared down at the game board apprehensively. "So... How do you play this, exactly?"

"It's simpler than it looks, Ford, trust me." You handed him a few sheets of graph paper. "It involves math, reading, which I know are right up your alley, and imagination. You'll like it, I'm certain of it." Ford took the sheets of paper and looked down at the game board again. "Well, if you insist."

You reached into the box and pulled out a 38-sided die. You rolled it in between your fingers as you explained the rules to him. "First things first, you have to roll this die to determine the level of each player's statistical analysis power orb. The orbs relate to the number of quadrants your team has dominion over." You glanced up at Ford to make sure he was still following. He leaned forward, hanging onto every word. You smiled a little, then spoke again, "These are inversed to the anti-quadrants in your quadrant satchel."

As you explained the rules, Ford nodded, made additional comments, and asked questions as he needed to. He was genuinely listening, and you could barely process it. For once, someone didn't just cut you off after the first rule out of irritation. For once, someone gave you a chance. For once, someone was listening and actually cared about what you had to say. You trailed off, and Ford looked up at you in confusion. "(Y/N)?"

"Sorry, it's just... No one really lets me do this." Ford's warm brown eyes were trained onto yours searchingly. "Don't let you what?" You shrugged and leaned back, trying to choose your next words carefully. "I don't know, just, give this game... me... a chance. People normally tend to judge my book by my cover, I suppose." Ford reached over and clasped your hand in his. His face was deathly serious. "(Y/N), I would never judge you for what you like. I'm not here with you because I feel forced to, I pity you, or anything like that. I'm here with you because I want to be."

"You really mean that?"

"With every fiber of my being." Ford reassured you gently. "Now, come on. Keep explaining the rules to me."

Time Skip

"All right, you have entered the chamber." Ford fidgeted the die with his fingers. "Princess Unattainable beckons you." He cupped his cheek with his hand as he blinked at you, imitating the princess. You laughed, punching him on the shoulder. Ford grinned, proud of himself for making you laugh, before his demeanor suddenly changed. "But wait! It's a trap!" You gasped, playing along with the scene. "The breath-taking princess was nothing more than an illusion cast by... Probabilitor the Annoying!"

"Do you know his weakness?" You asked Ford. Ford picked up the cardboard cut out. "Enlighten me."

"Prime, statistical anomalies over thirty-seven but not exceeding fifty-one!" You said with excitement as you dropped your dice onto the game board. You leaned in close. "Awh, dangit! A twenty-eight."

Ford laughed and placed Probabilitor down. "That's a shame, (Y/N). I suppose the student is out-matching the teacher."

"In your dreams, Fordsie." You said, glaring indignantly. "I'll always be the master of this game." Your eyes flicked to the alarm clock on your nightstand. "Maybe we should pack it in for the night, though. It's getting late." You gestured for emphasis. Ford turned, then sighed. "I guess I got carried away. You were right. I did have fun." He picked up his papers and stacked them neatly, gingerly tucking them into the box. You did the same with yours. "Well, we can always play again."

You and Ford packed the game and put it away. You followed him to the door of your dorm, rocking on your heels. "Thank you for a memorable night, (Y/N)." He said. Your gaze trailed down from his eyes to his lips, and immediately you blushed and shook your head, trying to push the intrusive thought away. "Yep!" You said once you recovered. "I really enjoyed this."

"Something on your mind?" Ford asked, oblivious to the reason you abruptly shook your head. You chuckled a little. "It's nothing." You pulled the door open for him. "Goodnight, Ford."

"Goodnight, (Y/N)." Ford stepped out, and you slowly closed the door behind him. You gazed back at your room, wishing it wasn't empty. You missed him already, and he had only been out of your dorm for a few seconds. You turned back to the wood, a longing smile on your face.