The Wrath of Gideon Gleeful

This chapter takes place halfway through the summer, towards the very end of Dreamscaperers.

And that's how the first half  of the summer went. The twins were quite the charmers, you had to admit. Mabel was able to instantly charm everyone she came in contact with. Something about the vibrant, bubbly child demanded the attention of those around her, and most were happy to oblige and give it to her. She was optimistic and her energy knew no bounds. In many ways, she reminded you of Stanley, and though he would never  admit to it, you knew Stanley had a soft spot for her hidden beneath the aloof, indifferent, tough-guy facade he had. Dipper, while not as socially inclined as his sister, possessed determination and intellect far beyond his years. He was equipped with the same sharp tongue that ran through the family, always ready to spew out a cunning remark when appropriate. Gradually, he grew less tense and began to treat the cabin as home. The amount of Ford you saw in Dipper was painful at first, but slowly, it turned into comfort. There was no doubt in your mind that Ford would be elated to meet the children upon his return home. 

Climbing up the basement steps, you heard a loud cheer from the living room. You smiled to yourself as you opened the vending machine and closed it behind you, trying to be as discreet as possible.

"What? Did what?" Stan asked groggily as you crossed the room's threshold. He rubbed his head as he blinked through bleary eyes. "What are you all doing here? And why was I dreaming of two brightly colored and radical young men?"

"Grunkle Stan, you're okay!" Dipper exclaimed in relief as he rushed over and enveloped the man in an embrace. Stan looked at you for a brief moment. You shrugged, just as confused as he was. "What is this? A hug?" Stan asked skeptically, not sure how to respond to the unexpected yet touching gesture. "Nope!" Dipper replied cheerfully. He crawled behind Stan and wrapped his arms around his neck. "It's a choke hold,"

Soos and Mabel erupted into laughter as Stan gagged in the grip. Despite yourself, you laughed along with them. Stan lifted his hands and pushed his nephew off, gingerly rubbing at his neck. He let out a small chuckle, smiling fondly at Dipper. "Not bad, kid. Not bad."

"I'm just glad Gideon didn't get into the safe," Mabel sighed in relief. "I really love this old shack." 

"Group hug!" Soos called, opening his arms in the air. No one moved to reciprocate. "No?" he asked. "I never know the right time!" he finished in a huff. 

Before anyone could get another word in, the frame of the shack began to shake. Small pellets of the ceiling rainee down and landed on the floor, bouncing slightly as the ground vibrated. Alarm started ringing off in your head. 

"Hey, do you guys feel tha-" Dipper was unable to finish. In an instant, you were flying across the room, landing on the ground in a heap. You coughed furiously and rubbed your eyes, trying to clear the smoke from them. Squinting, you were able to make out the culprit of the sudden blast. Your heart stopped in your chest. 

"Oh, I'm sorry, Pines family, did I wake you?" Gideon asked mockingly, venom leaking through his words as he feigned an expression of guilt. Clutched tightly in his plump hand was a scroll of paper. You averted your gaze to just behind him. Your eyes landed on the safe, now busted with the door hanging open on one hinge. The deed. He has the deed.

A million thoughts ran through your mind in that moment, but words refused to form. Dipper spoke up. "But... we defeated Bill?" The statement sounded more like a question, lacking confidence and certainty. You turned your head to the boy, having no idea what he was talking about. "Bill failed me!" Gideon narrowed his eyes. "So I switched to plan B! Dynamite!" He grinned maliciously, in a way no ten-year-old should have ever grinned. Children Gideon's age were supposed to be carefree and happy, only caring about the next episode of their favorite cartoon and simple pleasures like candy and playing outside. Any trace of innocence in Gideon Gleeful was completely gone. His eyes shone brightly as he grinned even wider, amused by your terror. This was not the Gideon Gleeful who captivated audiences with false fortunes and stories. This Gideon was something the boy had hidden from his followers. The Gideon Gleeful who was corrupted by evil. Chills travelled down your spine. 

"What.... Bill... what are you guys talking about?" Stan asked, not enjoying being oblivious to what was going on. You had no answer to offer him. 

"Spoiler alert, Stanford! I've got the deed!" Gideon held up the paper with a flourish, allowing it to unravel to prove his statement. "The Mystery Shack belongs to me! So get off my property!" He reached into his pocket and brought out a walkie talkie. He brought it to his ear as he turned away. "Daddy, bring it around the front."

The five of you sprang to your feet, jaws hung open in complete and utter shock. Gideon, somehow, someway, had the deed. A ten-year-old had outwitted a conman with decades of experience on him. A pang of fear flashed through your chest, coiling around you stomach and leaving it to churn. Gideon had the shack in his possession, and he would do who knows what to it. Gideon, whether he realized it or not, had the portal in his grasp. The only way to bring Ford home. You suddenly felt like there was something beneath your skin, fighting to get out as a pained sob climbed up your throat. Before it could leave, Dipper spoke up. "Don't worry guys, it's just part of the dream," he said, though you knew he barely even believed himself. "We're gonna wake up any second now... right....? Right?" The last part was added more desperately. 

The ground began to shake again. Simultaneously, you whipped your heads in the direction of the noise. A wrecking ball  was barreling towards the shack, Gideon clinging to its side and cackling. The ball swung upward and collided with the shack, making a painfully loud crack as it slammed into the Mystery Shack sign, obliterating it. 

With a scream, you five dove out of what remained of the living room and stood to the side, watching helplessly as a chunk of the ceiling crashed into the ground. 

"Someone pinch me, dude..." Soos whispered. 

There was no need to pinch him. This was reality. Gideon had the shack, and your worst nightmare came true. The shack, all of the memories between you and Ford, then Stan, then the children, was barely standing as the wrecking ball slammed into it again. There was no way to bring Ford home. Not without the shack. Creating a portal had taken ages when it was just down to three people. Starting a brand new one on your own was going to take years, possibly decades. Your knees buckled beneath you. You fell to the ground, fists tightly clenched as the strangled sob finally released. The pain of having Ford gone had never completely gone away, but it had slowly muffled itself. Now, it was hot and angry, the bandage having been torn off completely as the wound reopened, bleeding as fresh as the day Ford was taken away. That time, you at least had the possibility, the small shred of hope, to bring him home to cling to. Now, that shred had been obliterated by a cunning ten-year-old. Blinking through your tears, you watched as the ball collided once again, the sickening crash echoing in the air.