Chapter 2

Coruscant: Level 5127 - 2 Days after the Attack

Senator Riyo Chuchi looked over the young Jedi standing before her. 

His hair was cut short and ragged as if it had been done with a knife. The armor plating on his chest was pockmarked with blaster pitting and carbon scoring. The tunic he wore over it was brand new, probably replacing a heavily damaged one. Finally, his boots were covered in a layer of dried mud that crumbled onto the floor with every step he took.

His face was roughly shaven, again, probably with a knife. He bore a look that she thought fell somewhere between boredom and anger.

"Are you my new bodyguard?"

Jethro nodded. "I'm here to protect you from any further attacks, senator."

"Very well. You may stand guard outside my office."

Once again, Jethro nodded and headed for the door.

Once he was gone, she leaned back in her seat and gave a long, loud sigh. Her security detail had already been swarming her office and making it impossible to get any work done. She hoped that with a Jedi protecting her, security would ease off some, but from her observation of him, it seemed like he didn't want to be there as much as she didn't really want him there.

Now was not the time for this. With the Senate set to vote on a bill for the production of more clones, she needed to gather as much opposition as she could before the vote.

Security had been severely limiting her ability to meet with other senators with all of their I.D. checks and security sweeps. No one had time to put up with them. 

Perhaps the Jedi could be of some help. He would certainly get in the way less than a full security detail.

She continued to work in her office for another hour before leaving for an appointment with Senator Amidala.

Her office door slid open to reveal Jethro leaning against the wall outside her office. He still had the same bored expression.

He moved from the wall towards her, never uncrossing his arms.

"What's up?"

"I am going to speak with Senator Amidala. Are you going to escort me?"

"That's why I'm here senator."

The two walked the halls of the senate building in silence, passing other senators and aids with polite nods.

"You don't want to be here."

"Excuse me?"

"You don't want to be here guarding me, do you?" She probed.

He hesitated, only for a moment, then answered.

"I should be out leading my men, not babysitting some senator."

"Excuse me?" She retorted. "I'm trying to end this war."

"How?"

"I am working to pass a measure that will stop the production of clones and open negotiations with the Separatist Alliance."

Jethro shook his head.

"Stop the production of clones, how do you think that is going to help end the war?"

"If we can open negotiations with the Separatists then we can end this war peacefully, without the need for more violence."

"Senator, you haven't been fighting this war. You're sadly mistaken if you think this war can be won through negotiations. The Separatists aren't going to give up without a fight. There's just no way around it."

"It is my belief that there are many in the Separatist leadership that are tired of the fighting and desire peace."

"You really don't know what's going on out there. The only way to ensure victory is through military might."

"I'm not looking for victory master Jedi. I'm looking for peace."

"Peace comes through victory."

They reached Senator Amidala's office.

"You may wait here."

The senator did nothing to mask the aggravation in her voice.

Jethro nodded a bit tensely.

"As you wish."

The door slid open and the senator walked in. She let the door close out all of her doubts and annoyances as it shut behind her.

In the hall, Jethro leaned against the opposite wall and waited. He was bored, and more than a little annoyed. 

How could someone who had never once set foot onto the battlefield preach about peace?

She hadn't seen what he had seen. She had never been surrounded by the death and destruction that he had. She hadn't lost people close to her over and over again.

He ran a hand across his chest plate, feeling every scar and blaster mark. Each one had a story. Each one involved a Separatist the had been more than willing to kill him.

She had no right to talk about peace to him.

He took a breath to center himself. He needed a clear head if he was going to stop her attacker.

Reaching out through the force, he probed down the hall, feeling for any trace of malice. Nothing.

Next, he turned his attention towards the office. He could sense Senator Chuchi, as well as Senator Amidala. There was no sign of danger there. All he felt were good feelings between them. 

Jethro expanded his area of awareness, trying to find something. Probing each office down the hall, he was about to give up when he felt it. A presence bent on destruction.

Concentrating harder, he struggled to locate it. It was close, but he couldn't locate it anywhere in the building.

His eyes snapped open.

The door was cast aside just as the office window exploded.

Lightsaber drawn, Jethro gave one mighty leap and landed between the senators and the shattered window.

The attacker stood just inside the now broken window, a helmet covering his face. Armor covered the rest of his body and two, twin blaster pistols were pointed at the group.

"Dank Ferrik!"

The gunman didn't seem to be prepared for a Jedi. He hesitated before firing off two shots, which Jethro deflected back into him.

The force of the blasts sent him tumbling out the window and down the curved side of the senate building.

Jethro rushed to the edge and looked down to see him land in the seat of a waiting speeder. Even before he had become fully situated behind the controls, the speeder was already throttling away from the side of the building.

Without hesitation, Jethro flung himself out the window after him.

He landed hard on the rear of the speeder, causing the craft to shudder.

The driver turned and fired a shot at the Jedi. Rolling to one side, Jethro could feel the heat on his face as the bolt flew past him.

He quickly sent his lightsaber's blade through the starboard thruster. 

The craft shuddered once more as smoke billowed from the engine.

The driver sent the speeder into a steep dive.

Jethro felt himself slipping off with nothing to hold onto. A second later, he was in free fall.

Seeing a speeder in his path, he used the force to alter his trajectory just enough to hit it, roll off the back, and land on the roof of a large transport headed for orbit.

Looking over the edge, he could see the flaming wreck of the assassin's speeder. He could also see the figure of the assassin limping away from the inferno.

Jethro silently cursed under his breath as the freighter took him further away from the assailant.