Chapter 10

Coruscant: Level 5127 - 12 Days After Attack

The elevator rose steadily into the glimmering skyline above the city. Jethro watched as the ground disappeared below him. His stomach was in knots. 

In the days since the dramatic events surrounding him and Riyo, Jethro had been in a whirl wind of commotion. Everyday there had been something new, council meetings, debriefings, security meetings. Now, only a few hours before he shipped out, was the first real free time he had been given.

The doors to the lift opened and Jethro stepped out into the carpeted hall of the senatorial apartments. He made his way to the room he was looking for.

Four pantoran guards stood outside in the hall. Jethro could sense there were several more inside.

The guards nodded to him, then let him enter.

Inside, the guards stood watch while Riyo packed up her belongings into several suitcases.

"Jethro."

Her voice was so sweet. Jethro wished he could listen to it forever.

She motioned for the guards to leave. They hesitated, but ultimately complied.

When they were alone, she ran to him and hugged him, a gesture he returned, breathing deeply the floral scent of her hair.

When she finally pulled away, she looked guilty.

"What's wrong?"

She went back to where she had been packing her things.

"We shouldn't have given in like we did."

"Why?"

"You know why. The clone production bill failed and I have to redouble my efforts to stop this war."

"Is that what you want?"

She hesitated, torn between two answers.

"I want to be with you, I really do, but we both have responsibilities to help end this wretched conflict."

"What if the war was over?"

Riyo looked out the window at the glimmering cityscape before them.

Jethro asked again, "will you walk away with me when the war is over?"

"I don't know."

"I see."

Jethro turned and began walking to the door.

Riyo called out after him, "yes."

Jethro stopped and looked back at her.

"When the war is over, we can be together."

Jethro smiled.

"Until the war is over then."

She smiled back at him.

He stepped through the doors.

"Jethro!"

He stopped once more.

"May the Force be with you."

Jethro turned and gave a short bow before the doors closed.

He turned and walked down the hall towards the lift with a new spring in his step. In just a few hours he was going to ship out for the far reaches of the galaxy to end the war, and there was no one in the universe that could tell him otherwise.