Chapter 9

Coruscant: Level 1313 - 7 Days After Attack

"Put this ship down now!"

The pilot complied immediately and sent the ship in a downward spiral towards the crash site.

Following the column of smoke, they found the wrecked ship under assault by the bounty hunter. He was keeping the senator and surviving clones pinned inside the burning wreckage with a constant barrage from his blaster rifle. 

Jethro didn't even think before he jumped, flinging himself from the ship and straight at the bounty hunter, igniting his lightsaber and swinging straight at his neck.

The bounty hunter heard him coming and ducked, causing Jethro to miss and stumble. He wasted no time in capitalizing on Jethro's mistake, unleashing a torrent of fire on him, forcing Jethro behind the wreckage.

The clones in the ship joined in at this point, repelling to the ground while the pilot opened fire with the ship's turrets.

The bounty hunter retreated back into one of the buildings lining the street and out of the ship's line of fire.

The clones moved back the wreckage and made a defensive perimeter while Jethro pulled the bruised and battered Riyo from the flaming tangle of metal.

"You two," Jethro motioned to two of the clones standing guard, "get her out of here!"

The clones supported her between them and helped her to the transport that had just landed.

"The rest of you, follow me! We're ending this."

Jethro marched his men straight into the building where the bounty hunter was hiding. He was way past being angry now. He was furious. The woman he loved had nearly died, and now someone was going to pay.

The interior was dark. Almost nothing could be seen.

"Sir, he could be anywhere in here. He might not even be here anymore."

"He's here."

Jethro could feel his presence, and it only filled him with more rage. 

The attack came from the left, a spray of fire that sent the clones diving for cover, striking two of them.

Jethro stood his ground, deflecting the shots as they came at him. He pushed back, not only blocking the shots, but sending them back at his attacker, who ceased fire and retreated back into the darkness.

"After him!"

Jethro charged blindly into the dark. The clones, to their credit, followed close on his heels, unwavering in their loyalty.

"Show yourself!"

Another hail of fire answered Jethro's call, striking another clone and infuriating Jethro even more.

"Coward!"

A thermal denotator came flying out of the darkness and rolled between Jethro's legs. He barely had time to move before it went off, killing the last three clones following Jethro. Now it was just the two of them.

The explosion had thrown Jethro to the floor and before he could get up, another hail of blaster fire sent him rolling for cover.

"Fifteen years I've been doing this Jedi! Never once have I failed to bring in my target! And I don't intend to start now!"

Jethro launched himself from behind cover straight towards the voice. His aim was true and he felt as his foot connected with the man's chest, sending him flying backwards.

He responded with lightning speed and launched an electro-net at Jethro, who tried to slice through it, but only managed to get tangled up in it.

The resulting shock was diminished by the damage done to the net, but still knocked Jethro to his knees. The bounty hunter was on him in moments, disarming him and pummeling him with a volley of blows seemingly fueled by pure hate.

"No one is going to take this kill from me!"

Under the constant barrage of fist falls, Jethro struggled to free himself from the net and defend himself. He managed to get one arm lose and send the bounty hunter flying back and into the far wall. Jethro righted himself and shed the remains of the net.

"She is under my protection and will not be harmed, now or ever!"

Jethro called his lightsaber back to him, igniting the sapphire blade.

The bounty hunter was back on his feet in an instant. Drawing his blaster pistol, he began firing wildly, but Jethro was to fast. He deflected every shot as he quickly closed the distance between them, then cut the man's hands off.

The bounty hunter screamed in pain as Jethro kicked him to the ground. He wrenched the helmet off and looked into a battle scared face. 

"Who hired you?!" Jethro put his lightsaber to the man's throat.  "Tell me!"

"I don't know. He was just some guy in a hood. I never got a name."

Jethro pushed the lightsaber closer to his neck.

"I swear, his credits were good. That was all I cared about."

Jethro leered at him, then grabbed him by his collar and dragged him into the street, where several patrol ships were just touching down.

Jethro dropped the man at the disembarking clones' feet.

"Take this scum into custody."

The nearest clone saluted while those surrounding him hauled the bounty hunter back into the ship.

"Sir, the Jedi council requests an update of the situation."

A clone approached him from another ship.

"Tell them the bounty hunter is in custody."

"Sir, they want it from you."

Jethro began to object, then sighed.

"Fine, lead the way."