Prologue

The frosty grass, and the lack of prey was unsettling, she'd never been this hungry. Even when she and her sister, Amberpaw, were small kits mewling in the nursery, they were never this hungry! This was her and her sister's first leafbare as apprentices.

They'd both have been hunting near the Thunderpath, for the minuscule amount of prey that remained above ground. Tawnypaw would sniff the air, and when she smelt nothing, she'd meow to Amberpaw "Smell anything?" When the amber she-cat had replied, "No" Tawnypaw would pace forward again, and sniff the air for the scent of prey. She was just about to meow to her sister, "I don't smell anything either.." when she caught the scent of mouse. She'd beckon her sister to come closer, but slowly. "Over there" Tawnypaw would hiss quietly, dropping into the hunting crouch.

Tawnypaw would stealthily stalk the mouse, but she was too focused on the mouse to notice the twig just in front of her. She'd step on it, alerting the mouse of her presence and causing it to panic. Tawnypaw would silently curse herself inside her head, "Mousebrain! You should've noticed the twig!"
Meanwhile, the mouse was scurrying towards a bush, but Tawnypaw wasn't going to let it go that easily, her clan needed to be fed or else kits and elders would die! She'd hiss, and pounce towards the panicking mouse. However, Tawnypaw would have misjudged the distance, and over jump. She'd hear her sister yowl "Tawnypaw! No!" Tawnypaw was confused, until she turned around...