Chapter 5

It had been a few days since Tawnykit had had the strange dream, and Amberkit was well again and back in the nursery. Obviously, the first thing Tawnykit told her was about her weird dream she had.

Once Tawnykit had finished telling Amberkit everything that had happened in the dream, she was met with silence. "So." Started Amberkit, "You think the cats you saw in your dream were me and you as apprentices..?" "Yes, I do" Tawnykit replied, "There was also a cat that looked like you but with darker fur and my eyes."

"Hmm..." Amberkit meowed, thoughtfully. "Maybe we should tell Cindersong...? She might know the cat you saw." After some thought, Tawnykit replied, "Alright, we will tell Cindersong about the cat sat next to me in my dream, but nothing more." Amberkit replied determinedly, "Okay then! Let's go!" The two she-cats padded over to the nursery where their mother was sat.

"Uh... Cindersong..?" Tawnykit meowed worriedly, what if Cindersong didn't believe her? "Yes Tawnykit? What do you need?" Cindersong meowed softly to her daughter. "Well, I uh.. I had a dream a few nights ago, and there was a cat sat next to me with russet coloured fur and dark purple eyes... I was wondering if you knew a cat that looked like that..?" Tawnykit would blurt out, nervously. Cindersong's bright green eyes would cloud over with and emotion Tawnykit couldn't read, and she would meow in a voice laced with grief, "Yes, I know the cat you are talking about. That was your father, Russetfeather. He was attacked by a hungry fox in leafbare a moon before you were born. He was very brave, taking on the fox by himself."

"Did he manage to kill the fox?" Amberkit meowed quietly. "Yes he did." Cindersong replied, "But he was wounded too badly, and the medicine cats could do nothing to help, he joined StarClan that evening."

"Thank you for answering my question Cindersong." Tawnykit meowed quietly, wiping tears away with one paw. "Your welcome dear. Ask questions anytime" Cindersong meowed, "Now, why don't you and Amberkit join Rosekit outside?"

"Alright!" Tawnykit and Amberkit replied together, scurrying outside.