XXXII. Explanation

Jackson's POV:

"Mr.Martinez. We are here."

My sight cast towards the old house. I exhaled a sharp breath, took off my seatbelt, and got out of the car. "Don't wait for me."

The driver bowed his head, "Yes, sir."

One step after another, I made my way towards the house. It's only been a week, but it felt as if it'd been years. The car engine behind me started, and soon, it disappeared. I stopped in front of the house and pressed the doorbell.

Baby cries.

It must be Dustin.

Once the front door opened, I could see a woman held heavily by stress. "Jackson," she whispered my name softly. Her voice had always managed to make my heartbeat.

The cries brought us both back to reality.

Piper held Dustin closely, "What is it? Why are you crying?" She patted his back numerous times in an attempt to soothe him.

My eyes flicker towards his earpiece.

His hand smacked his red cheek.

Steadily, I reached for Dustin, but Piper flinched back. "May I try something?"

Piper looked at Dustin's red face before she inched him closer to me. I reached for the hearing device and took it off. Immediately, Dustin's cries de-escalate.

Piper closed her eyes and exhaled heavily.

"He's probably not used to all the noises. The doctor said it might take him some time to get used to normal level hearing."

"Shit," Piper mumbled underneath her breath. Steadily, Dustin rested his head against her shoulder and closed his eyes. He must have been tired from crying all day.

I hand the hearing device back to Piper.

"Thank you," she said. She took a step aside, "Come on in."

When I entered the house, I took off my shoes. Surrounding the home were toys and random items.

"Sorry," she said. "I haven't had time to clean."

"Your mom doesn't drop by?" Piper's mom would often help Piper clean the house and babysit the children.

She forced a smile on her face, "My mom isn't a maid. I can't call her all the time."

I know that look. Guilt.

Piper tucked her hair behind her ear, "So what can I help you with?"

"Crystal-" I said, and her smile disappeared. "She called me?"

Piper leaned against the table and exhaled softly. "She called you?"

I nodded.

"Did she tell you about what happened?"

I nodded.

I watched as she bit her lower lip as she fought the urge to cry. "You must think I'm a horrible mother by now."

I shook my head. How could I ever think of her as a bad mother? I know. We all know. She had been trying her best.

"I had a breakdown Jackson," she said. "And I pushed all the blame on Crystal." The tears dripped down her pale cheeks. "I blamed her for everything that had happened. I yelled at a seven years old and caused her to have a seizure."

I held her close to my chest.

"You should've seen the way she looked at me." Her voice cracked more and more with each word. "She looked at me as if I was a monster. And she isn't wrong. I am a monster."