XIX. Happy Anniversary

ONE AND A HALF YEAR LATER

Piper's POV:

They say that everything happens for a reason.

How, sometimes, good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

That's the keyword - sometimes.

Well, I'm not sure if that's the saying. It's hard to hear when you're dead.

I shoved all the things into my bag and rushed out the door.

"Bye, Piper!"

I smiled, "Goodbye!"

"Have a nice day!"

I nodded, "You too!"

When the keys dropped, I stopped to pick them up.

"Poor Piper."

I clamp the keys into my hands.

"I mean, it's unfortunate that her husband died, but-"

"He's missing."

"Okay. Missing. But don't you all think the boss is discriminating? I mean, Piper always gets to leave early."

"Hey. Have some sympathy. She's a single mom now. Do you know how difficult it is to raise two children on one income in California?"

"Alright. Alright. Sorry."

I tighten my grip on the keys, and with a deep breath, I straighten my back. I walked out of the corner, and they all faced me. Their faces paled.

I smiled, "Have a nice day."

They all nodded. "You too."

When my back turned, they went back to their gossips. It used to hurt. That's it.

Now, I'm used to it.

I pressed the elevator button, and it dinged. When the doors spread open, I got inside. The elevator door closed.

My body fell onto the bar, and I dug my fingers deeply into it. I bit my lower lips, "No!" I slapped my right cheek. "Don't you fucking break."

When the doors opened, I straightened myself and headed towards the car. Inside the vehicle, my phone rang. I turned on the engine and answered the call.

"Hey, Piper!"

I smiled, "Hey Nina. What's up?"

"Well, I'm visiting Cali soon. I was wondering if you're free. We can hang out."

My grip tightens on the wheel, "Sure."

"Great! Oh, um- I was wondering if you want the washer and dryer from my house. Not the one in New York, but the one in California."

I drove out of the underground parking lot. "Nina-"

"I'm about to sell the house, and I don't want to throw it away. It's a waste of money. You know?"

"And you're not saying that because mine broke. Right?"

"No! Of course not! You know how much I hate wasting things."

I stopped at a red light and closed my eyes. "That would be nice."

"Great! I'll call Todd and have him bring it to you."

"No. I can go get it myself."

"Todd is going to help me move some stuff out, so it's better if he does it. Okay?"

When the light turned green, I moved forward. "Okay. Thank you."

"Great. I'll see you then. I love you."