XLVI. Keep it Together

Piper's POV:

I spent most nights with barely any thoughts.

The papers in my hands shake.

"Piper. I'm sorry, but I promise you will be compensated."

Compensated...

Compensated...

Compensated!

"I can help you with-"

I stand up and the papers crumbled in my hands, "You expect me to believe that the company is struggling and they're forced to lay off people?" I don't need a mirror to know the crazy look on my face. "I'm one of the people who handle the company finances, and you expect me to believe that the company is low on money?!"

"Piper. Please, let's sit down, and we'll talk things through."

"I can't lose my job. I have two kids at home." I see people in movies used that line before, but I never thought I would use that sentence.

My supervisor stood up and made his way towards the door. He looks around before he closes it, "Look," he said in a low voice. He sits down on the chair beside me. This is an action that shows the wall between a superior and an employee is gone. "I didn't make this decision. Piper, you're the best employee I've ever had, and if it was up to me. I would keep you. Hell, I would promote you."

"Then...why?"

"I don't know. Yesterday, someone came in here and told me to fire you. That was it. They told me to find a reason, any reason to let you go."

"Fire me?"

"They told me to find some sort of misconduct and fire you."

The more he talked, the angrier I got. It doesn't take a genius to know who's behind this.

"So, I'm going to write it down as a layoff, okay? That way, you can get unemployment money, and it'll help you stay afloat for a while."

Being fire for misconduct and laid off are two different things. If I were written down as a fired employee for misconduct, I wouldn't get unemployment benefits, and it would be harder for me to get a job.

"I'm sorry, Piper, but I need you to pack your stuff before lunch."

At that moment, I didn't know how I walk out of the office or even how it ends. At my desk, there was already a box. When I look around, everyone avoided eye contact. I swallowed the saliva in my mouth and packed up all my stuff. After I finished, I grabbed the box and made my way towards the door.

"Piper," a few of my co-workers came up. "If there is anything we can do, please tell us."

I know they don't really feel bad that I got fired - it's mostly empathy. And one day, they will forget that I ever worked here, similar to all the other employees that got let go.

I force a smile, "I would love gift cards to help me with my meals."

Everyone laughs, but the awkward tension was still in the air. All because I know their emotions aren't past empathy and they will stop talking about me next week, it doesn't mean I'll leave with bad blood.

When I walk out of the company, I could feel my phone buzz. I placed the box in the back of my car, closed the trunk, and grab my phone. There was a bunch of gift cards send to me. The gift cards had sort message of 'We'll miss you!' to 'You're the best!"

The laid-off happened too fast for them to set up a goodbye party or collect a signed card.

"Piper." I turn my head to see one of my co-workers.