Chapter 14: The Champions and a Concussion

"Nico! I think they're about to select the champions!" Hermione shakes Nico's shoulder, excitement clear in her voice.

"Hm? Oh." Nico lifts his head up from the table. With this being the second feast in two days, he doesn't particularly care about sitting at his own table. He had instead spent dinner dozing at the Gryffindor table while his friends theorize and hope about the Hogwarts champion. A girl named Angelina sounds to be the prize choice.

In line with what Hermione had said, the plates had cleared themselves off, and Dumbledore makes his way to the podium to address the crowd of very loud students. "I estimate that it requires one more minutes. Now, when the champions' names are called, I would ask them please to come up to the top of the Hall, walk along the staff table, and go through into the next chamber where they will receive their first instructions."

He gives a grand sweep of his wand, and most of lights in the Hall extinguish, bar the ones inside jack-o'-lanterns. Nico can appreciate that. After all, it is pretty much the same aesthetic as his cabin at camp even after the renovations. The Goblet of Fire shines much brighter in the dark, holding the attention of everyone in the Hall, each student and staff waiting with bated breath for the decision. It's flames burst into a bright red, poofing and sparking like the sparklers Percy had once shown him.

A charred, smoldering slip of paper flies from the Goblet, fluttering through the air and being snatched by Dumbledore. The Goblet calms, returning to its usual blue-white. Dumbledore holds it out, reading it through his half moon spectacles. Nico can feel the tension in the hall as the old man open his mouth to speak.

"The champion for Durmstrang will be Viktor Krum." He announces, booming voice filling the hall.

"No surprises there!" Ron yells as the Hall bursts into the loudest cheers Nico had heard from them. Clearly, everyone is thrilled about the Quidditch star being in the tournament. The boy heads up the Hall, disappearing into the other room as Dumbledore had instructed.

Once again, the Goblet changes, spitting out another slip of paper.

"The champion for Beauxbatons," Dumbledore announces upon catching it. "Is Fleur Delacour."

"It's her, Ron!" Harry shouts. Nico cranes to look at the girl getting up from the Ravenclaw table. It's the veela-esque girl Ron fancies. Nico supposes he could see why. She almost reminds him of an empousa, somehow.

The Goblet turns red once more, the paper that will determine the Hogwarts champion shooting out on a tongue of fire, the whole of the castle holding their breathe in anticipatory excitement. Nico can't help but feel a glimmer of thrill in his stomach. He couldn't really care less who the champion will be, but that doesn't make it any less entertaining.

"The Hogwarts champion," He calls out into the room. "Is Cedric Diggory."

Again, there is an uproar of cheers, especially from the Hufflepuff table. Cedric, a tall boy with brown hair. Nico, unfortunately, can see the appeal. The boy makes his way back to the room, away from his cheering peers.

"Excellent!" Dumbledore starts his finishing speech. "Well, now we have our three champions. I am sure I can count upon all of you, including the remaining students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang, to give your champions every ounce of support you can muster. By cheering your champion on, you will contribute in a very real-"

He stops. The Goblet had gone red again, spitting out one last slip of paper.

"What's happening?" Nico whispers, unable to pull his eyes away from the front of the Hall.

"I don't know." Hermione replies, clinging to his arm with a vice-like grip.

Dumbledore stares at the paper for several seconds before clearing his throat.

"Harry Potter."

Nico smacks his head on the table.