Chapter 5: Children are Small

Drawing by Feliii89

Getting into the Great Hall was a hectic struggle, what with the rain, Peeves, and Harry's fan boy. But soon we all make it inside, parting ways to go to our respective tables. By the time my skin starts drying, the first years, looking weirdly tiny, steam in, soaked to the bones and shivering vividly. Surely we weren't that tiny? Even Hermione and I had grown since then, if we had been.

My stomach grumbles audibly, causing a few of the surrounding Slytherins to snicker. Of course, that in turn causes them to receive a glare, making them quickly silence. Luckily for me, the hat chose that moment to begin it's song.

A thousand years or more ago,
When I was newly sewn,
There lived four wizards of renown,
Whose names are still well known:
Bold Gryffindor, from wild moor,
Fair Ravenclaw, from glen,
Sweet Hufflepuff, from valley broad,
Shrewd Slytherin, from fen.
They shared a wish, a hope, a dream,
They hatched a daring plan
To educate young sorcerers
Thus Hogwarts School began.
Now each of these four founders
Formed their own house, for each
Did value different virtues
In the ones they had to teach.
By Gryffindor, the bravest were
Prized far beyond the rest;
For Ravenclaw, the cleverest
Would always be the best;
For Hufflepuff, hard workers were
Most worthy of admission;
And power-hungry Slytherin
Loved those of great ambition.
While still alive they did divide
Their favorites from the throng,
Yet how to pick the worthy ones
When they were dead and gone?
'Twas Gryffindor who found the way,
He whipped me off his head
The founders put some brains in me
So I could choose instead!
Now slip me snug about your ears,
I've never yet been wrong,
I'll have a look inside your mind
And tell where you belong!

Charming as always. I join in polite applause, if only because I didn't want to match the uproarious energy of my peers. McGonagall unrolls her large parchment, commencing the sorting. The second boy to be sorted- Baddock, Malcolm- was sorted into Slytherin. My table bursts into cheers as Malcolm stumbles to sit with us, the rest of the Hall booing and hissing. Poor kid.

The sorting finishes after several more minutes, the plates and dishes piling high with decedent foods of all kind. I watch the first years' eyes light up in amazement. They always did. I wasn't particularly hungry, but more so than usual. Will had been helping me get better at eating more. I take a slice of meat and some carrots, deeming it good for now.

After dinner, Dumbledore got up to his feet, making his way to the podium. He makes his usual reminders, forbidden items, forbidden forest, forbidden whatever. But then he starts a more interesting announcement.

"It is also my painful duty to inform you that the Inter-house Quidditch Cup will not take place this year." This causes a wave of outraged calls. "This is due to an event that will be starting in October, and continuing throughout the school year, taking up much of the teachers' time and energy. But I am sure you will all enjoy it immensely. I have great pleasure in announcing that this year at Hogwarts-"

The door to the Hall bangs open, a single man standing there, leaning on a staff and covered in a black cloak. Who the hades is this, and why did he insist on such an entrance? I can feel my stomach curling in the way that let me know that something was just... wrong. Off. He make his way up the middle of the Hall, a step-clunk echoing as he walks, along with the sound of his staff. The stranger lowers his hood, revealing a scarred face, grizzly red-grey hair, and a strange, swirling eye.

He makes his way up to the front, shakes Dumbledore's hand, and they exchange a few words. The hall is filled with whispers, everyone speculating on the identity of this man.

Finally, Dumbledore goes back to speak at his podium. "May I introduce out new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Moody."

I could imagine Leo making a joke about that name. As much as I hate to admit it, I do... miss that thorn in my side.

The Hall fills with more chatter, which Dumbledore silences by clearing his throat. "As I was saying, we are to have the honour of hosting a very exciting event over the coming months. An event which has not been held for over a century. It is my very great pleasure to inform you that the Triwizard Tournament will be taking place at Hogwarts this year."

"You're JOKING!" One of the twins, I'm not sure which, calls from across the hall.

Most of the Hall laughs, and I can't help but grin, despite not really knowing what the Triwizard Tournament is.

Dumbledore goes on to explain what the tournament is, it's history, and why it was cancelled. There was now a set limit on it too, only those seventeen or older can enter. At this, I relax a bit. Good. A bit of respite from Harry's misadventures. He dismisses us to bed, which for once I'm glad about. This day feels like it's been going on for almost three months.

I make my way to the Slytherin common rooms with the crowd. Unfortunately, one of the little first years- Malcolm, I think- latches onto my robe to not get separated from the group. I just sigh, letting him.

In the common room, I detach him, earning tiny "sorry"s, and make my way to my own dorm, setting my things how I want them, as the other boys in my dorm are doing. I brought pictures this year. Well, more Will packed them without me knowing.

There's a picture of the seven, one of Will, Hazel, and I, and one of Percy, Thalia, Jason, and I. I attach them to the wall with a sticking spell, one I'd learned last year out of sheer boredom.

I flop onto my bed fully clothed, content. It was strange, feeling at home here. Not really like how I felt at camp, but it was nice to know I wouldn't be attacked by Empousai or hellhounds at every turn. I can handle a dark wizard and a little tournament. My eyes slip shut. Yeah... I can do this.

HELLO! I'm so sorry for not updating for so long! I've been having a real bad time recently, but things are getting better (I think!) I hope y'all like the subtle jab at myself there for not updating for nearly three months. I'm hoping to write more during the three weeks I have off, but who knows.

Love you matchsticks!

Peace out!

Love,
Sammy