Chapter Twelve: The Goblet

The ensuing dinner was nothing short of uncomfortable and eye-roll worthy. Of course, because it was a special occasion, table switching wouldn't be tolerated, so Nico was stuck at the Slytherin table with the rest of his house. Equally unfortunate was the extra addition in the form of massive visitors in layers upon layers of furs. Nico could've sworn every single one of the Durmstrang students was a child of Ares with how they were built. 

Apparently, one of said visitors was famous, if the staring and jabbering could tell Nico anything. If that wasn't a clear enough tell, Draco cozying up to the burly teenager certainly gave it away. The Durmstrang students looked like they were melting, shedding their cloaks and furs, examining the hall like it was an entirely new planet and not just another part of the world they had grown up in. Meanwhile, the students from Beauxbatons looked freezing, shivering and holding their hats close to their heads. They eye the surrounding tables with thinly veiled disgust, which Nico could appreciate on some level. 

"Good evening, ladies, gentlemen, ghost- most particularly- guests." Dumbledore announces, eyeing the crowd of students with his usual twinkle, clearly delighted at having new people to disturb with his speeches. "I hope and trust that your stay here will be both comfortable and enjoyable. The Tournament will be officially opened at the end of the feast. I now invite you to eat, drink, and make yourself at home!"

The following dishes that appeared on the table made Nico want to eat less than usual, so he stuck with a salad, avoiding whatever jiggly monstrosity was directly in front of him. Straining to see across the hall, he caught sight of his friends. Ron looked like he caught sight of a ghost, but... a ghost he hadn't expected. Harry looked seconds from bursting out laughing and Hermione was clearly miffed. Nico wished he could join them.

Desert came and went with more odd delicacies, ending with Dumbledore once more at the podium. 

"The moment has come," He began, surveying the audience. "The Triwizard Tournament is about to start. I would like to say a few words of explanation before we bring in the casket just to clarify the procedure which we will be following this year. But firstly, let me introduce, for those of you who do not know them, Mr. Bartemius Crouch, Head of the Department of International Magical Co-operations and Mr. Ludo Bagman, Head of the Department of Magical Games and Sports."

Nico certainly did not know them, but he could garner the Bagman was much more popular than Crouch due to the uproarious applause the latter man received. 

"Mr. Bagman and Mr. Crouch have worked tirelessly over the last few months on the arrangements for the Triwizard Tournament, and they will me joining myself, Professor Karkaroff and Madame Maxime on the panel which will judge the champions' efforts."

The assembled students, which had been previously chattering amongst themselves and making it difficult for Nico to hear, fell unnervingly quiet.

Dumbledore smiled. "The casket, then, if you please, Mr. Filch."

Nico had seen a lot of caskets in his time with the dead. For some reason, they had been a prominent feature of the original Hades cabin at camp. Not to mention the funerals he officiated where they did not burn the deceased, or the fact that he lived in the underworld for a few months when he was younger. But anyway, he was familiar with caskets. This was not one he had seen before, not quite a funeral casket and more of just a box. It was wooden and jewel encrusted in a way that made it look pompous and arrogant. 

Nico spent so long observing the casket, he didn't realize more was happening until it was opened. Dumbledore pulled a large wooden cup out of it, and had it not been for the blue-ish white flames spewing from the top, Nico may have dismissed it entirely. Dumbledore placed it on the lid of the casket, in full view of everyone around. 

"Anybody wishing to submit themselves as champion must submit their name and school clearly upon a slip of parchment and drop it into the Goblet," Dumbledore continued. "Aspiring champions have twenty-four hours in which to put their names forward. Tomorrow night, Halloween, the Goblet will return the names of the three it has judged most worthy to represent their schools. The Goblet will be freely accessible to all those wishing to compete."

He then went on to explain how it will not be freely accessible to all those wishing to compete via means of an age line. Nico didn't bother to listen to the specifics. It isn't like he was planning to enter. He had had enough near death experiences to last a lifetime, he could cope with not adding more to the list for fleeting glory within this community. Once Dumbledore dismissed them, Nico made his way as quick as he could across the hall. He caught his friends just outside the door, where they had been holding up the entire school, being studied by the Durmstrang group. Nothing new.

"What did you think of all that?" He asked as he reached them.

"I think whoever enters the tournament has to be either very daring or very foolish." Hermione stated huffily, like she had more reason to be judgmental of it than most. But knowing her friend, Nico had no doubt she probably did.

"Is there really that much of a difference between the two?" Nico grinned lightly at his own joke.

"I suppose not." She smiles back.

Yo. I am still here. I wrote this one on a computer and I think it actually improved my immersion and writing speed. Will have to do this from now on.