- 𝟏𝟓

༻ CHAPTER 15 ༺" she was everything real ina world of make believe

CHAPTER 15
" she was everything real in
a world of make believe. "

     AS SHE HAD done every other year, evelynn blossom took her place at the front of the stage, absolutely satisfied about taking on the career district for several years in a row. she gave the microphone a big tap and cleared her throat.

     "welcome, district 4! this year we celebrate the 68th hunger games, hoping to see some more victors in the coming year." she announced, giving an encouraging grin to everyone taking their stand at the justice building, "first, the wonderful video."

     it was almost as if atlantis was hearing the intro for the hundredth time, but as always, she didn't bother to pay attention and kept it all on the blonde boy up on the stage.

     for a while, she hadn't even realised that it had been done and evelynn was already chirping on about selecting this year's tributes. as usual, the girls went first.

     the dreaded moment had come.

     from the stage, finnick could see the fear creeping up on the girl, her hands habitually fumbling with her dress, trying to pat down any creases. atlantis wondered if people even paid any attention to the cut under her eye.

     sweat had beaded up on her forehead, shivers were sent up her spine, atlantis held her breath when the escort's gloved hand dove into the ball of reaping names swirling around teasingly before plucking out a card.

     time slowed down for the girl, her skin crawling when the escort stopped, a bright smile on her face as she read out the name present on the paper.

     "atlantis einar." the woman called out, waving the paper.

     the color seemed to drain from the 16 year olds face as the reality of her worst nightmare had started to sink in. this is what she had been saying to finnick this whole time - nobody was safe ever. especially if you're poor and starving at a young age.

     her eyes seemed to shoot straight to finnick who also seemed to stunned to do anything. he was sure that this sort of bad luck couldn't dawn on her as it had on him. at that moment, he felt worse than he had at his own reaping.

     slowly, people started to turn to atlantis, expectant expressions on their faces. some expected her to be happy that she got selected, due to her clear sign of 'lust' for violence on her face whilst most didn't even want to think about what was coming for her.