x 10 x

EDWARD POV

From across the table, I noticed Jacob tense. He gripped his phone tightly, his knuckles turning white.

"Are you alright?" I asked tentatively. The mood in the room seemed to curdle and sour like week-old milk in a broken Texas refrigerator. He shook his head, scanning over whatever was on the screen a few more times.
"Do you remember my gi- ex-girlfriend?" He asked.

"Angelina?" I asked, trying to picture her in my head. She had gone to high school with us, and she and Jacob had started dating a few weeks after graduation. I never spent much time around her.

"Angela," Jacob corrected, "Though I wouldn't mind never talking about her again." He held his phone up for me to see. There was an unknown number at the top, and several long texts below. It read:

UNKNOWN: You fucking piece of shit. This is Angela. I'm texting you not because I give a shit about you. That would be too nice of me. I want to ruin you. To make you suffer the way that you've made me suffer. Do you know what they're saying about me online???? That i was so ugly and bad in bed that i made you gay. I'll castrate you you stupid ugly whore.

UNKNOWN: Putting that aside, you know I know what you did back then. If you want it to stay hidden and not ruin both you and your bitch boyfriend's lives, your ugly ass better be at Hawthorne Plaza 8 pm next Friday. You know the spot. Bring me 10 k and we'll talk. Don't be late.

UNKNOWN: I hate your new song. Fucking sucks.

I could feel myself start to sweat. Ten thousand dollars?! What information did she have? I glanced up at Jacob, who's expression was gloomy.

"I'm sorry..." He said quietly. "I keep causing trouble."

"What does she have on you?" I asked. Jacob looked away. He stayed quiet. "Is it that bad?" He nodded.

"You'd be ruined just by associating with me." He mumbled. "Both of our bands would be destroyed." My eyes widened.

"What the fuck did you do?"

Jacob winced, "I can't tell you... It has nothing to do with you.... I have to go." He stood up from the table.

"At least finish your eggs," I said, disconcerted. He stared down at the plate.
"I lost my appetite. I'm sorry." He turned and walked towards the door. I stood up and followed.

"Where are you going?"

He looked at me, his eyes lingering for a moment before turning back to the door.

"I don't know."

"Then, can I come?"

"No I- I need some space right now. I'll text you tomorrow."

"Can we meet tomorrow?" I asked. For some reason I really didn't want him to go.

"I... Yeah we should probably do more in front of the paparazzi." He seemed to be avoiding my eyes. He opened the door, and stepped out into the hallway. Moving without thinking, I grabbed his hand. Jacob stiffened in surprise, and finally looked at me. My eyes flicked up to his lips, and I felt my face heating up. I squeezed his hand, and then let go.

"T-tomorrow, then." I stammered, and quickly went back inside. I shut the door, and leaned against it, sinking to the floor. What was I just about to do?? This was a strictly professional thing we were doing. To save his career. Yes. That's all it was. My high school feelings should stay buried. I went back to my eggs.

--

By the time I ran out of my apartment, it was raining. I had forgotten that I had dance practice with my bandmates today, my mind wrapped up in Jacob's problems. I hurried from the cover of the entrance into the black van waiting for me on the curbside. My manager, Carlisle, was driving.

"Is the rain getting to you?" I stretched out my shoulder after buckling in.

"It always gets bad when there's a big storm, but I can manage."

"You can sit this practice out if you want. You know the choreo well enough."

"I'm fine, Carlisle. They need me for the formations."

"So stubborn. Okay, just don't overdo it." He started driving, and I leaned my head against the window. I couldn't help but think of Jacob. He'd looked like he'd seen a ghost back there. I wondered what kind of horrible thing could elicit that kind of response. I hoped he would be okay.

In the studio, my bandmates were waiting. At the door, Rory daps me up. "What up, brotha?" He grinned stupidly. A choir of groans rang out behind him. Sitting on the floor, stretching his legs, was Angel. He nodded in my direction, then turned back to Stefan, who was chatting away. Jasper took a swig from his water bottle, his shirt drenched in sweat. Damon wasn't there yet, but he was always late so I wasn't surprised. Spike, the dance instructor, slapped my ass as he walked in behind me. "Awright guys, let's start this practice!" He exclaimed, overwhelmingly British.

"Dude, Damons like, not even here yet," Rory said. Spike rolled his eyes.

"And when has dat eva stopped us befoh, Rohry luv... " He clapped his hands once again, "Get into your positions, I'll take the place of our resident diva." We all moved into our spots. Carlisle pressed play on the speaker, and the music began.

Halfway through our routine, I felt a pang in my shoulder. Shit. I reflexively clutched my shoulder, interrupting the complicated pose we were trying to master. Rory fell on his ass.

"What the hell was that?" A voice from the back of the room scoffed. Damon had slipped in while we were practicing. I shot him a glare.

"Lay off would you?" Jasper piped up, "Why don't you try getting hit by a car and we'll see how well you dance."

"That was ages ago, wasn't it? He still hasn't healed? Maybe I should take center then."

Carlisle came over to me with the first aid kit.

"We should wrap it with compression bandages if it's hurting. You don't want to reinjure it."

"Thanks Doctor." I offered a slight grin in gratitude. I took off my hoodie and raised my arm. Damon rolled his eyes.

"Once you're done babying him, let's get back to the set."

"You weren't here on time again," Angel noted, his brow furrowed in annoyance.

"The main character always comes late, Angel," Damon smiled mockingly. Carlisle finished up on my shoulder, and I pulled my hoodie back on. Spike clapped his hands again.
"Enuff squabblin, yeah? Are we ready or not?" He stepped back, leaving room for Damon to fill the space next to me. The music started again. 

AUTHORS NOTE::

HI gus! been awhile but im back again! tyyyyy all sooooo much for the support ive been getting. it makes me weelpppp!!! I hoppe you like this fanserviece chatper! We hav e a lot of other vmapire boys xoxoo