✩7✩

JACOB POV

From just above my menu, I peered at Edward across from me. I felt like I was waiting on a time bomb. If he could just let go of the stick up his ass, maybe we could have a good time on this date. He was the one who had agreed to the schemings of our managers, anyway. He could at least try to be a bit nicer and not try and push me off a rollercoaster.

"Did you decide- why are you staring at me?" I blinked and Edward's face appeared, looking back at me with an eyebrow raised. I forced my eyes back down to the menu.

"I was staring because I chose already." I laid it down on the table and pointed randomly.

"You're getting the mussels?" Damn, I hate seafood. "You hate seafood."

"It's been a long time since then. I love them now." Internally I was cursing out my finger. A strange look passed over Edward's face, but it was gone in a second.

"Oh okay." He started looking around, presumably for a waiter.

"What are you getting?" I asked, hoping to keep it from getting too awkward. He pointed to his choice on the menu.

"Rib eye." I looked to where his finger was and over to the number next to it.I could feel my wallet crying from my hip pocket. That asshole. I must have been obvious because Edward opened his mouth again.

"What you got was just as expensive. Also I thought you were rich." I forced a smile.

"Of course I am." I stared down at my menu once again. The word mussels stared back. Haunting me. We ordered our food and were back to silence, which seemed to be the main theme for this date.

I took a sip of my complementary ice water, and traced the Mickey heads pattern on the table with my finger absentmindedly.

"So... what do you do for a living?" I looked up and found Edward looking at me with a grin on his face. I stared at him for a second, honestly a little freaked out at seeing him smile and make a joke.

"I'm a real estate agent, but I'm hoping that my side business in lobster fighting will take off," I replied, still unsure about the sudden change of mood. Edward covered his mouth with his hand. Was he trying not to laugh? Suddenly I saw a flash. Oh yeah, we weren't alone. Maybe that's why Edward started this random conversation. Somehow, that saddened me. It was probably just because I missed the freedom of our time together in high school, when we could act however we wanted without press attention. Probably.

A few more mindless words were passed and then our food came. Including the mussels. I pushed at them on my plate with my fork, my stomach already twisting.

"I know you don't want to eat them, don't be so stubborn."

"I don't know what you're talking about," I said, picking one up and inhaling the meat inside. I tried to swallow it without chewing, almost choking in the process. I still tasted it anyway. Yeah, still vomit inducing. Edward stared at me, his hand covering his mouth. He was trying not to laugh.

"Shut up, I choked because it was good."

"Just order something else, dude. Or we can switch? I don't think you gagging on shellfish is really perfect date material."

I sighed. "But it was like, $20.... Do you even like shellfish?"

"Yeah, I don't mind it. Now hurry, so we can get the hell out of here. I think people are starting to recognize us."

"...you're right" I swapped the plates quickly, and wolfed down the steak. I signaled to the waiter that we were ready, pulling out my wallet. After giving him my card, he returned with the receipt for me to sign and a Mickey napkin for autographs.