Something More Than Friends

Jackson Storm got up to start a brand new day. He couldn't believe that it was so easy for Cruz to accept him back into her life. He felt undeserving of it. After everything he had done to her. He swore he'd be a better guy. For her. He didn't understand the feelings he had for her, but he knew that he couldn't ever leave her like that again. She made him open up a little more every day. He felt that he could change for the better and prove it to everyone. He was really sick of being alone. His internal assistant, Alexis, notified him of a text message.

Costume Girl has sent you a new text. 

For a second he wanted to change her nickname in his phone. Then he remembered that was what he called her when they met for the first time. He decided not to change it.

Ray drove in on him smiling like a lovestruck fool at his text from Cruz. 

"Who you talking to Storm?"

"Ah! Uh, nobody actually." 

"It's Cruz isn't it?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Don't get too side-tracked by her." Ray winked at Jackson Storm.

"I'm not."

"I need your training logs. You have made progress haven't you?" Ray asked concerned. 

"I haven't..." Jackson told Ray as he drove past him. Ray followed him into the next training room. 

"Come on Storm, you're being too hard on yourself."

"I'm just being realistic. I'm not doing good. I haven't won another race. I feel like I'm-"

Ray cut him off quickly. 

"Don't say it. I know what you're going to say but you take everything so serious still. I thought being friends with Ramirez would somehow make you loosen up more. I think that's why you're not doing as well as you'd like to. Just take things slow for once, you'll realize that the little things in life can't be enjoyed when you're always in the fast lane." 

Jackson watched as his coach left him alone in the training room. He took a glance at his training simulator and then looked away from it and turned his attention to his text from Cruz, then he replied to her.

The Next Day

 Cruz had told Lightning that Storm was coming over to Radiator Springs that day. Lightning wasn't a fan of their friendship but he just went along with it because of Cruz. He did notice a change in Jackson Storm's character. He wasn't as much of a prick that he used to be. Sally would always mention how much he reminded her of young Lightning McQueen. He'd often protest to that thought. He still couldn't trust Storm.

"Why does she have to invite him everywhere with her?" Lighting pouted. Sally quickly kissed him. 

"Come on honey, they've been hanging out like this for a while. Don't you think it's about time that you've trusted him?" Sally asked. 

"The moment we all put trust into him, is the moment he'll back stab her."

Sally rolled her eyes. 

"She's forgiven him. Why can't you move on?"

Lightning sighed. 

"You didn't see her like I did, Sally. Cruz is like a daughter to me."

Sally glared harshly at Lightning and beeped her horn loudly at him.

"Ow Sal!!!" He winced at the sudden loud noise.