Souvenir (I)

I massaged the back of my leg, damn it really hurt, and saw him reaching out for his phone in his pocket and heard something drop on the floor.

It was what I had lost, the necklace.

I instantly felt relief spreading throughout my body. I reached out to grab it, only to realize the stiffness of my leg that was still reeling from pain.

Serkan noticed my struggle and after registering the purpose of my movements, he picked up the necklace from the floor and held onto it for seconds, before passing it to me.

I watched it, for more than a few minutes. I didn't loose it. Thank god. 

I saw him staring at me from the corner of my eye and so I spoke, feeling my cheeks burn in anger.

"Why didn't you tell me that you had this all along?"

"Ne?"

He said with that confused expression plastered on his face that irritated the hell out of me.

"I have been looking for it like crazy for hours and you didn't even bother to tell me!"

"How was I supposed to know you were looking for it Eda?", he said calmly. "Wait a minute, you came this far into the woods in search of this?"

He said pointing towards the necklace, which sat beautifully between my fingers.

"Evet".

"Buna inanamıyorum. You could have hurt yourself Eda. Is this necklace more important than your life?"

"It is, very important", I replied almost instantly.

"It was just a ring", he said rolling his eyes.

I never had such a strong urge to strangle him as much as I did today. Only if my leg didn't ditch me. Sparing a tear trickling look at the necklace, I murmured,

"Maybe I should have said the same thing", I paused and looked at him, "back then when you resisted taking yours off when I asked you to."

His expression changed. I couldn't exactly pin point what it was that I saw in his eyes but it felt as if he was searching for more.

He sat next to me and picked up my left leg ever so gently, placing it on the table in front of us.I didn't resist. He took few minutes to assess my leg, and looked up at me, as if asking for permission and I gave in. I watched him as he moved his fingers at the back of my leg, lightly pressing at different places, trying to find the exact point of pain. While he gave a soothing massage, I took a glance at him. My eyes tracing every inch of his face. He was so beautiful, so beautiful that it hurt. I shifted my attention to the necklace again in my palm and caressed it with my fingers gently, as if it were a baby, my most precious.

I remember when he had put the ring on me for the first time. A beautiful, blush pink colored diamond, carved into a magnolia. It was breathtaking and I loved it. Even though it was too big for my liking, I still loved it. For not it was a 'once in a blue moon' kind of design, but because he, The Robot Bolat, had picked it himself, for me.

I remember spending some of my nights wondering what made him choose that very ring. Was it because it was huge, never not noticeable to naked eyes? Maybe so that Selin could watch it every time and cry rivers from jealousy. Or maybe because it suited his so called high social status? Oh so pricey!

Could it be because it reminded him of me? For the flower girl that I was? Was it possible that he knew the meaning magnolias carried? I have read that magnolias, especially the pink ones, gives a sense of welcoming someone into any house. Was he welcoming me into his world?  I had to nearly slap myself at this thought. It was too farfetched for him.

But I had loved it's presence on my finger... the ring. It reminded me of us.

My reverie was broken when a sharp, shooting pain grabbed my attention, making my thoughts go a little fuzzy.