Chapter 18

Rows of cherry blossom trees overlooking a pristine koi pond welcomed Harriet and Frank to Chiyo's. Harriet eyed the hibiscus-print dress hugging her waist. "Are you sure it was alright for me to wear this? I'm not exactly as thin as I used to be."

"You look stunning," Frank said. The subtly citrusy scent of his cologne tickled her nose as he leaned in and planted a kiss on her cheek.

He didn't look half bad himself, all gussied up in his suit. The only thing shinier than the silver watch peeking out from his sleeve was his smile.

The restaurant hadn't changed in the slightest since the last time Harriet had been there. A tanuki statue still greeted them with a cheerful smile and bloated belly as they entered the dimly lit interior. The regulars chatted in boisterous Japanese by the bar as they dined on the chef's assortment of omakase sushi, each roll a culinary masterpiece in its own right. Once she confirmed their reservation, the hostess led Frank and Harriet through the bustling first floor of the establishment up to the quieter second floor, a space set aside specifically for couples who would rather not have to raise their voices to be heard above the chatter on the first floor.

This was the same table where they'd had their first date as a serious couple, as well as the same one where Frank had eventually proposed to her. The view was spectacular thanks to the koi lazily drifting in the pond outside their window. Of course, the view across the table was even better.

Frank kept sneaking smiles at her from behind the sushi menu. "Damn, I swear you get more gorgeous every time I look at you."

Warmth rushed to her face. He still knew exactly how to make her feel like the most beautiful woman in the world. "So what should we get started with, handsome?"

"I am so glad you asked! I was thinkin' we could get salmon, scallops, and mackerel. How about some eel, too? I've always wanted to try that."

"I'm up for giving that a shot, but only if we get a couple cucumber rolls to go with it."

"Good idea. Those will make the perfect palate cleanser."

When their waitress brought their pot of freshly brewed green tea, Frank gave her their sushi order. "That should be a good start," he said as he poured tea into their cups.

Harriet blew on the rising steam before taking a small sip of the bitter beverage. "Thanks for taking me here," she said.

"Anything for you, babe. It's about time we spent more quality time together. As much as I love the goodies you've been making lately, it's nice to talk to you when you aren't slaving away in front of that oven for a change."

"I'm not slaving away," she said, her fingers making air quotes. "I actually really enjoy it. You should try it sometime."

"Maybe, but I think I'd better learn the basics before I end up gettin' in your way. Otherwise, the fire department will end up spending more time in the kitchen than I will."

"I bet they have baking classes at Sur La Table."

"That sounds like a blast! They better come with self-restraint classes though 'cause otherwise something tells me I'll end up eating all the supplies."

"Even the flour?"

"Even the flour. Just not the sugar. That would taste downright bitter in comparison to how sweet you are, babe."

Harriet took a long sip of tea to hide the blush blooming across her cheeks and give her hands something to do. The urge to bake burned inside her despite how far she was from the kitchen and its many temptations.