Chapter 1

Harriet piped the final plume of red icing onto Sam's birthday cake with cramping hands. The chocolate cake rose into a towering peak with a ring of six candles illuminating the raspberry sauce pooled inside the crater at the top.

It was a mighty fine cake. Sure the 'lava' had turned out runny and there were cracks spidering up the side, but what was a volcano without a little chaos? She was sure Sam and his friends wouldn't mind. After all, the only thing messier than a volcano mid-eruption is a swarm of sugar-crazed six-year-olds.

Harriet peeked through the window. The boys were still preoccupied with their water guns, screaming their little brains out as they raced through the yard. Sam shot his with all the precision of a stormtrooper as Peter blasted him right in the middle of his favorite Barney shirt. Her son may not be a sharpshooter, but at least the plants would hopefully get watered.

There was still no sign of Frank.

Harriet ran a hand through her dark, frizzy curls. Of course he couldn't be bothered to come home early. Some days it felt like he'd still be at the office even if the apocalypse broke out, editing the footage he'd filmed for whatever weird product his team had been saddled with that month even as meteors pummeled the planet.

There was no sense waiting any longer, especially with the cake threatening to crumble.

With a flick of her wrist, Harriet struck a match and set the top of the cake ablaze. Carol held the door open for her as the other moms shepherded the kids over to the table they'd set up outside, complete with a jungle-themed tablecloth and Easter eggs filled with plastic dinosaurs for everyone to play with after they ate. "Looks delicious," Carol said with an approving smile. "I couldn't have asked for a better sous chef."

Harriet beamed at her praise. Carol's cakes were as gorgeous and attention-grabbing as the sunrise orange leaves rustling in the early October wind. She'd won blue ribbons at the county fair five years running, and the only reason she hadn't won more was because she'd stopped entering after Peter was born. "Time to let someone else win for once," she'd said with a smirk.

"Aw shucks, you handled the hard parts," Harriet said as a blush warmed her cheeks. "If it weren't for you, I'd still be relying on Betty Crocker."

After a horribly off-key chorus of "Happy Birthday" where the kids looked a heck of a lot more focused on the cake than the birthday boy, Harriet finally set the dessert in front of them. "You know the drill," she said. "Blow those candles out!"

Sam drew in a deep breath before letting out a whoosh that was more saliva than air. The candles thankfully took the hint and extinguished themselves without requiring a second wind.

"What did you wish for?" Harriet asked.

"I wished for Dad to turn into a T-Rex. Then I'd have a dinosaur, and he wouldn't have to work all the time!"

Harriet bit her lip to keep herself from getting emotional as the other boys gushed about how awesome it would be to have a dinosaur. "Well, I can't turn your dad into a T-Rex, but I know something just as cool. Who wants to see this volcano erupt?"

"ME!" The high-pitched squeals of delight sent a headache pounding through Harriet's forehead. All she had to do was carve a couple slices, and then she could finally relax.

While Carol held the plate steady, Harriet sank a knife into the cake. The kids oohed and aahed as raspberry sauce streamed down the chocolaty slope.

Once she finished serving the kids, Harriet finally joined her friends in the shade with their share of the cake.

"That should keep them busy for a while," Harriet said as she gratefully accepted a glass of lemonade from Vicky. The ice had long since melted, but she didn't mind. A little dilution would help the alcohol go down easier.