|Chapter 17|

Fuck. What was he supposed to do now?! "Oh, uh-"

When Steven didn't get a straight answer, he barked at him. "What? Speak up! Who are you, huh?"

There was a sudden presence beside him. "You're right! He's- uh, one of my buddies." Dream never thought he would be so glad to see Greg emerge behind him. To convince his dad, he laced an arm around Dream's shoulders. It felt unnatural for both and Steven seemed to sense that. But he didn't press too much. Just a "Well, why didn't he just say so? What's your name anyway?" The unfriendly tone felt like a threat. His stare was worse though. It felt like daggers, ready to plunge into his skin.

Dream gulped, straightening himself a little before answering. "I'm Clay, sir." The stare didn't stop, it only shifted a little to look over him. Dream remembered the night George had the nightmare of his coming out. All the anger he felt towards the man who hurt his friend so deeply, not to mention all the agonizing years after that incident. That man must have sent his dear friend through hell for literal years.

Before Dream could think more about the best way to suppress the urge to hit Steven, Greg let go of him to walk towards his dad. "How about you get Grandpa Harvey to church, huh dad?" The grumpy man rolled his eyes. "Yeah, yeah." His expression didn't change when he turned to the old man next to him. "Let's go Harv." With that they walked out the door, into the car and away to church.

Both young men let out a sigh of relief. "Thanks." Dream really owed Greg for this one. The stressed groom looked at him, letting out another big sigh before admitting "I did it for George." The mention of his friend's name right after meeting Steven caused Dream's stomach to ache. He understood completely what Greg meant by that. After meeting that man, knowing his and George's past, he felt a burning compulsion rising inside of him. A compulsion to not let that man anywhere near George, only able to think of the worst outcomes if that were to happen. If Steven found out that right there, Dream was his boyfriend, shit would have gone down way too soon.

Well, Dream wasn't George's boyfriend, not actually...

And there it was again. That almost unbearable pain of knowing that their portrayed feelings for each other were fake. Well... at least George's were fake. George didn't love him. Not the way he wished at least.

The pain started spreading throughout his entire body. It made him ache. George doesn't love him. He probably never will. Oh, how much he wished that George felt the same passion, the same desire as he does. The feeling of almost overheating when their bodies are close. The flashes of wishful daydreams of what could be. The upmost attraction he felt towards the brit. That typical feeling of love in the depths of his stomach whenever he saw his friend smile or laugh, hearing his voice or doing literally anything.

...His friend. A friend. George was a friend, nothing more. Maybe best friend. But not what he longed for. Not a lover, a partner. A boyfriend.

"Clay? You good?" Dream jumped at the sudden sound close to him. Greg was still there, looking at him. It seemed like the concern was somewhat real. "Oh, yeah. I'm fine, sorry man." Dream reached up to his cheeks to rub at his eye. It felt a little itchy. That was when he noticed he had tears almost falling down his face. He wasn't actually tearing up right now, was he? Christ, pull yourself together Dream. It was your idea to pretend to date after all.

He quickly wiped at his eyes, chuckling to overplay the fact he had literal tears in his eyes. "Sorry, I don't know what came over me right there." Lie. But Greg seemed to leave it at that and not to press on. Thank God he didn't.

"Oh, there you are. Are you two ready?" George. Please don't let him notice the slightly glossy eyes.

Greg walked towards him, giving him a short hand signal. "Almost, I just need to get my jacket, then we can go." George nodded, looking after his cousin who left the two alone at the front door. He turned back to smile at Dream. That damned smile. He tried his best to smile back. If you asked him, he'd say it was very convincing. But seemingly not enough convincing for George, who's expression changed as soon as he met Dream's eyes. "Are you okay?" With quick steps he was in front of his tall friend, looking up at him with worried eyes.