14. Two Idiots in Love

They all knew they would end up like this. Going there separate ways, but not before tearing each other apart and taking everything from one another. Gia knew. It was just the way Monopoly affected a group of friends.

Or maybe Gia just took the game too seriously.

She had conceded to defeat and boredom taking a seat atop the wooden platform above the group. Legs swinging in the air as she stared up at the San Francisco skyline ignoring Petra and Marcus's chimes that she was being a sore loser.

"So it makes sense that every post-apocalyptic future movie is full of punk rockers," Marcus tells the group, "They're the ones that survive because they've been anticipating it the whole time."

Everyone chuckles, except for Billy, "It's kind of ironic. The only ones who saw how shitty the world was are the ones stuck living in it."

"Is that where you see yourself in the future?" Maria asks him.

"Yes," he replies immediately as Marcus rolls the dice and moves his piece.

"It sounds sad," she says, but the green haired boy had already walked off toward the skate ramps. Gia crinkles her nose watching the conversation wondering what got the boy in such a sour mood.

Marcus piece lands on Willie's territory inciting a whoop from the legacy teen, "Boardwalk with a hotel. Pay me two grand, Busta."

"Fuckin' Monopoly. This is proof that capitalism doesn't work, okay?" The curly haired teen mutters counting his money, "Because whoever else gets property first, they get to screw with everyone else in the game."

"Oi, oi!" Lex rides by on skateboard trying out a move.

"Whereas I'm chuffed," Willie declares mimicking their British friend, "An absolute fan of the status quo because it sure is smashing for the chaps up top!"

Billy does a skate trick on the ramp and rides over, "Did you see that, Gia? I landed it," He tells the girl looking up at the brunette whose eyes reflect the twinkle of the skyline.

She hums to herself from above nodding. While she was lost in her thoughts, Billy as he had been since the day prior was still trying to find ways to catch the girls attention.

"Better than Lex's sketchy bomb drop," Petra chimes ridiculing the spikey haired punk.

"My bomb drop's more impressive than your imminent middle-age boob drop," Lex retorts and Gia hears the comment and begins to boo from atop the platform. Despite this he continues, "I mean they're fine now, but look at those pointy little puffers. No elasticity. Gravity's your enemy, my melancholy mime," he teases winking at the goth girl.

The proclaimed feminist teen continues to hold her hands cupped around her mouth, "Why is that women have to live up to your perfect societal standards, Lexington? We don't exist solely to look pretty for you!"

"And that's a shame, isn't it?" Lex says, crouching down and sitting next to Willie who shakes his head.

"Don't start on me, buttermilk,"

"We're on the same side," the Brit exclaims, "Rap, punk—poor kids making music about their circumstances."

"So you think it's about rich and poor? You ain't been in America long enough," Willie hums.

"It's totally true," Petra agrees, "I just wonder if things will ever get better."

"Thinking about the future is a luxury for rich kids," Billy tells them dropping his skateboard off to the side and making his way past the group.