amanda

january 1st, 1987

aberdeen, washington

molly giggled to herself as she attempted to unlock the door to her house, still slightly intoxicated.

finally succeeding, she stumbled past the threshold, groping along the walls for a light switch. making it to the kitchen, she dropped her keys on the counter and turned the lights on.

molly turned around to take a seat at the island, jumping when she noticed a figure sitting in the living room, her smile dropping immediately.

"and where the fuck have you been?" amanda asked her daughter.

molly scoffed, shaking her head, turning to leave, "i could ask you the same thing."

"don't talk to your mother like that," amanda snapped, rising from her seat.

molly laughed humorlessly, "if you want to be treated like a mother, maybe act like one."

the older woman stalked towards her daughter, raising a finger and pointing it in her face, "watch yourself, little girl. i put a roof over your head and food in your stomach, show some fucking respect."

up close, molly could see her mother's eyes clearly. they shared the same same deep blue irises, but amanda's were rimmed with red, her pupils pinpricks, "i don't have respect for people who leave their kids to go shoot up," molly spat.

the young girl heard the resounding sound of the slap before she felt the pain. gasping, she held her hand to the cheek that was surely glowing red. molly met her mother's eyes, willing the tears that had welled up not to fall.

"you've got no room to talk, baby," amanda said, turning to sit back down and light up a cigarette, "i see the blow in your eyes. if you're gonna call me a junkie-," she laughed to herself, shaking her head and taking a draw from the burning nicotine, "well, let's just say it takes one to know one."

molly wiped under her eyes and took a step towards her mom, "i will never end up like you. that's a fucking promise," she whispered sharply, turning to run up the stairs.

leave it to amanda to ruin an almost perfect night.

as molly laid in her bed, staring at the ceiling, the only light coming from the moon, she mulled over the conversation in her head.

molly decided that no matter what, she would keep her promise.

new chapter! this one is hella short, but i'm gonna post the next chapter as soon as this one goes up. thanks for reading, let me know what you guys think :)