𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒕 𝒐𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒇𝒓𝒆𝒆𝒘𝒂𝒚 𝒂𝒈𝒂𝒊𝒏

december 1st, 1986

aberdeen, washington

an almost uncomfortable silence washed over kurt and molly, both of them wanting to say something else, but neither of them willing to make the first move.

"well, i guess i'll see you around," kurt finally said, turning to walk away.

"wait!"

kurt stopped and turned back around.

"i can't let you walk, it's too damn cold for that. let me give you a ride," molly said, gesturing to her beat up red jeep.

"oh, no, really it's fine-" he started, but molly cut him off.

"i insist."

kurt opened his mouth to protest again, debating his options internally.

after a second, he shook his head and smiled softly at the girl, starting to walk to the passenger door.

molly sighed in relief.

she thought she was about to scare off the only person she had met in this town.

hopping in the drivers seat, molly turned the ignition on and put he heat on full blast, warming them up.

"i have a bunch of tapes in the glovebox, if you wanna put one on," she told kurt, taking lou reed's transformer out.

he opened it and shuffled through them, immediately amazed at this new girls taste in music.

she had just about anything he could think of, from black flag, the dead kennedys, and the sex pistols to joy division, the velvet underground, and led zeppelin.

"sorry if there's nothing you like in there, i have more at home, it's just with moving and everything-" molly said, feeling nervous when kurt hadn't picked one after a beat.

"no, no no," he cut her off quickly, "it's not that at all, it's just, nobody around here really listens to this stuff."

"oh," she said, looking down at her lap. of course they didn't.

she should've known better than to think she might find somewhat of a kindred in the little logging town,

kurt, sensing the change in her mood, spoke up reassuringly, "but i do."

molly looked up at him and smiled.

kurt grabbed the stooges first album off the top of the pile and put it in, the sounds of 1969 filling the warm air.

turning slightly in her seat molly asked him, "would you wanna hang out? like, right now? my place isn't that far from here."

"i mean-" he paused, "yeah sure, why not."

kurt was becoming more and more curious about this girl by the minute. if there was a chance to get to know her, he would take it.

a smiling molly finally pulled out of the parking lot and asked, "so, kurt, what do you do for fun in aberdeen?"

"nothing," he replied immediatley.

the girl let out a light laugh, "c'mon, there has to be something."

"well," kurt said, wondering if he should tell this girl, this girl he had just met, about his spot.

the spot he never took anyone to.

his own private haven.

deciding he could trust her, kurt told molly, "there is this one place, nobody ever really goes there except for me. i think i'm the only one who knows about it, cause i've never seen anyone else there."