kurt

december 1st, 1986

aberdeen, washington

molly hated aberdeen.

she had only been there for about an hour, but the girl already felt it in her gut- her and this town would not be getting along.

gray and depressing were just about the only two words molly could think of to describe the little town.

moving there hadn't been her choice, of course. it wasn't her fault her mother, amanda, couldn't hold a job and pay rent. if it was up to molly and not child protective services, she would've stopped living with her years ago.

the place amanda found wasn't too bad this time, but any good qualities about it had been immediately overshadowed by... well, nothing.

the town had absolutely nothing to it.

it was the kind of place where everybody knew each other. if you were born there, it was likely you would die there.

the girl that bags groceries was your third cousin and your 7th grade gym teacher was your uncle.

molly would stick out like a sore thumb.

they might as well have a sign outside the town- "outsiders not welcome."

as soon as the mother-daughter duo had gotten to the little duplex, in their separate cars of course, molly opened the trunk and took out her only possessions; a rolling suitcase, a backpack, a guitar case, and a cardboard box.

molly struggled to carry all this, but taking more than one trip seemed like too much effort at the moment.

she said nothing as her mother unlocked the door, just went straight upstairs, peeking in the two bedrooms and the cramped bathroom.

the girl walked into the smaller bedroom and put her things down.

she knew amanda would claim the bigger one, and that was a fight molly just didn't feel like having today.

the young girl propped the guitar against the closet door and dropped everything on the floor, except for her bag, which she tossed on the bare bed and unzipped.

she reached for her leather jacket and, after verifying her pack of marlboro reds was still in the pocket, she put it on, walking back out of the small room.

she could unpack later. right now, molly needed to get out of there.

as she rushed down the steps, she called out to her mother, "i'm going out."

the girl didn't wait for a response as she slammed the door behind her.

sliding into the car, she turned the key in the ignition and took a cigarette out, putting it between her cherry stained lips. she lit it and inhaled, relishing in the sweet burn of the nicotine.

keeping the cig in her mouth, molly took her long chocolate brown hair out of its restricting ponytail, letting it fall around her face in its natural waves.

driving away from her new home, she checked her pack of cigs; almost out, but she did have two joints already rolled, just waiting to take all her problems away. even if it was only for a little bit.

molly tossed the cigarette butt out the window as it grew short and clicked play to start whatever she had been listening to last. lou reeds voice filled the air as she put one of the joints between her lips, raising the lighter once again, driving wherever the road took her.

eventually, as the joint started to burn down and the tape ended, molly pulled into a gas station. she put the j out and kept the roach, saving it for later.

molly turned her car off and walked into the store, going straight to the candy isle. she glanced around the store and saw there was only one other person after besides the cashier lingering around. from what she could tell, he was around her age, with dirty blonde hair; taller than her, but not by a lot.

not wanting to be caught staring, she grabbed a pack of sour patch kids and made her was to the front of the store again.

"a pack of marlboro reds too, please," molly said to the cashier, dropping the candy on the counter. she heard the other customer come up right behind her as the man behind the checkout put her cigs down, not bothering to card her.

"well, there's one good thing about this town," she thought to herself.

"$6.59," the cashier said, obviously bored with his menial job.

fishing a $10 bill out from her pocket, she tossed it on the counter and swiped her purchases up, walking out of the convenience store, not bothering to get her change.

she didn't need the extra 30 seconds of human interaction.

as molly peeled the plastic off her new cigarettes and lit one up, the store's door opened

out came the other guy.

now, molly could see him clearly. heavy brown boots, plain denim jeans, about two sizes too big with holes and patches. a sonic youth shirt, a blue flannel, and to top it all off, a thick winter coat.

molly didn't realize how long she had been sizing this guy up before she met his eyes. it was like she'd been shocked. the most electric blue she'd ever seen stared right back into her own sapphire pools.

"nice shirt," she said, trying to diffuse the awkwardness.

"ditto," the stranger replied, nodding at her wipers one, almost buried beneath her large leather jacket. she smiled at him, and he smiled back.

molly almost wanted to say something else, but decided against it. he was a stranger in a weird new town, after all.

instead, she turned to walk back to her car, almost reaching it before a voice stopped her.

"hey!"

she turned around to see the stranger walking towards her.

"i hate to be so upfront, but- did you... did you just move to aberdeen? it's just- i've never seen you around here before, and it's kind of a small town, y'know?" he smiled awkwardly.

up close, molly could see the few blemishes on his face. it didn't make him any less handsome, though.

in fact, the boy wearing the sonic youth shirt was very attractive.

"yeah, i am," she replied, taking a couple steps towards this interesting stranger, "i just moved here today, actually. my name's molly, molly bardot."

she stuck her hand out for him to shake.

he took her palm into his own and replied,

"i'm kurt. kurt cobain."