iii. AND THEY'RE OFF

SAY IT!
( chapter three )

   IN THE MORNING, Kennedy did not want to get out of bed. Getting out of bed meant she had to say goodbye, and saying goodbye meant leaving for her quest. Nevertheless, she had to get up, but she went as slow as she could, milking over the potential last moments she would have in her cabin.

   Kennedy didn't realize how long she took until Connor and Amy knocked on the cabin door. She opened it, seeing them all ready, bags in hand and the same grim composure she had. They didn't have to say anything. She knew it was time to go.

   The trio made their way up to the Big House, where Argus, the camp security guard was waiting in the van that would escort them into the city. The three threw their bags into the van, before turning around to face the small crowd before them.

   Almost the entire camp was standing there, at the butt crack of dawn to see them off. Kennedy could have cried right then and there, but kept her composure. Instead, she just began to say goodbye.

   Kennedy, always the social butterfly, had to go up to every person there, giving each one a hug, whether she knew them or not. Connor mainly stuck to his cabin mates, and of course other close friends, as did Amy.

   While waiting for Kennedy, Amy pulled Connor to the side. "Okay look. I'm gonna be straight with you real quick. If you so much as make a move on Kennedy during this quest I will personally send you to Tartarus."

Connor's eyes widened, first in surprise, then to anger. "How the hell do you know that I like her?"

Amy let out a laugh. "Dude, literally the only person who doesn't know is her. Trust me on this one."

Connor furrowed his brows, too many thoughts roaming through his head. "Why should I listen to you?"

"Because I'm her best friend and I care too much to let her get hurt by some idiotic boy." She said. And before Connor could get another word in, she walked away, leaving him to his thoughts.

   Finally, their time had come. The trio gave one last final wave, before getting into the van. As the door closed, a few tears slipped out of Kennedy's eyes. She wiped them away quickly, and instead put a smile on her face. It was small, but still there.

   "You gonna be okay?" Connor asked as their drive began. He looked at Kennedy with concern in his eyes, which almost made her want to cry even more.

   She managed a small nod, sniffling a little. "I'll be fine. So anyways, where are we going that will get us a ride?"

   Connor grinned, barely able to keep it in. "You'll see. Trust me, you'll love it. Argus, take us to downtown Manhattan. We've got to visit some friends."

   THE TRIO HAD arrived in front of an apartment complex. Connor had a mischievous grin on her face, one that made Kennedy a little nervous. But nevertheless, she followed him up the stairs, and soon the stood in front of apartment 3E. Connor knocked on the door, bouncing on the balls of his feet, barely able to contain his excitement.

   A few beats later, the door opened, revealing Travis Stoll. He looked at Connor, confusion written on his face. "Connor? What are you-"