v. LATE NIGHT HAPPENINGS

SAY IT!
( chapter five )

CONNOR COULDN'T SLEEP. There was too much to think about.

First of course was the quest. They had already encountered two monsters and were barely two states away from camp. Connor knew that this quest would be dangerous, but this much action already scared him for what would be to come.

Next, there was Kennedy. He had always liked her, sure, but just them (and Amy) on the road together made his feelings strengthen somehow. He just wanted to know if she felt the same way. I mean, she had blushed when he wiped the tear off her face earlier! That's a sign, right?

Then there was her powers. When they worked for the first time, it was in a hurry, for it came out of nowhere. Connor faintly remembered Kennedy holding up her shield, and closing her eyes as if she were accepting her fate, like a sacrifice. But she did the same thing at Waffle House and it didn't work.

   Connor sighed, turning onto his side to face Kennedy. He longed to help her, but he just didn't know how. Then, he got an idea.

   "Psst. Dee. You awake?" He whispered. He waited a moment, and when she didn't move, he turned back over, closing his eyes to try and sleep again.

   "Yeah. I'm awake." Kennedy said, and Connor's heart skipped a beat as he turned back over. "Can't sleep either?" She asked.

   Connor nodded. "Yeah. There's too many thoughts in my head right now. But anyways, I had an idea, if you're up for it."

   At that, Kennedy sat up. "Of course. Nothing else to do right now, right?" Connor grinned, and sat criss cross across from her.

"Let's play around with your powers." He said, and Kennedy stared at him blankly. "We're in the middle of nowhere, so what could go wrong? Plus, we gotta figure them out at some point."

Kennedy seemed to ponder this for a moment. Connor crossed his fingers as he watched her brows furrow in concentration. It seemed as if a war was waging in her own mind, trying whether or not to go through with his plan. Finally, she nodded. "Let's do this."

Together, the two climbed out of the bed of the truck and onto the harsh dirt on the side of the road where they were parked. "Okay so how do we do this?" Kennedy asked and Connor shrugged.

   "Whatever you think feels right. You know in superhero movies, they usually have a certain way they have to do to use their powers, so maybe try some of those out?" He said. Kennedy tilted her head to the side in confusion, so Connor grinned and began to show off some of those moves.

   "There's Iron Man, Spiderman, Superman, and my personal favorite, James Bond." He said, pausing after each one to show off their personalized move. Kennedy giggled, until he said James Bond.

   "Wait, James Bond isn't a superhero!" She said and Connor sighed.

   "To hell with that! He has a gun, and he shoots bad guys, just like Batman. He's definitely a superhero." At that, Kennedy smiled, shrugging her shoulders.

"Whatever. Let me try some of those." She said, doing so. But after each one, nothing happened except the two of them bursting into giggles.