LATE NIGHT TALKS

"No-one likes a mad woman, you made her like that."

⎯⎯⎯

⎯⎯⎯

CHAPTER SEVEN
Late Night Talks

⎯⎯⎯

The young girl's eyes opened. Her hair was pushed back behind her head, and she wore a light blue spotted hospital gown. She couldn't be more than fifteen years old. Her face was deeply freckled, but her eyes shone with confusion as she sat up in the backseat. She looked out the window, her eyebrows furrowing as they passed through the foreign city. Glancing up towards the front seat, the girl saw the driver, an older man who she seemed to know.

"What the hell am I wearing?" She asked, looking down at the hospital gown that was wrapped around her body. The older man glanced behind him, seeming startled that the girl had woken up so soon. He gazed back at the window in front of him, facing the road with a somewhat solemn look on his face.

"Just take it easy." He softly spoke, the large, greying beard on his chin making his voice muffled. "The drugs are still wearing off."

She looked at the man in confusion, laying back down on her side. The leather of the chair pricked at her cheeks, chilling her body. "What happened?" She inquired.

The man sighed, his eyebrows furrowing deeply. "We found the Fireflies." He began. "Turns out, there's a whole lot more like you, Ellie. People that are immune." He claimed. The girl's- Ellie's face contorted into one of sadness, maybe even anger. "It's dozens, actually. They ain't done a damn bit of good, either." He looked through the mirror at her. "They've actually st- They've stopped looking for a cure." The man paused. "I'm taking us home."

Ellie looked lost, confused, disappointed. She turned around, the back of her hospital gown facing the old man. He let out a breath of what seemed like guilt. "I'm sorry."

The girl simply screwed her eyes shut, furrowing her eyebrows and trying to make the nightmare of what had happened that day go away. But nothing seemed to work. A tear slid down her face as she remembered the words that the man had spoken to her.

There's a whole lot like her.

⎯⎯⎯

Ellie blinked her eyes open, her body sinking into the old and hollow mattress underneath her. It was pitch black in the hotel room, the candle that Willow had lit on the nightside stand had gone out long ago. Speaking of the other girl, she was laying on the bed beside Ellie's, her body shivering in cold despite the clothes that she was wearing. Due to the constant flooding in Seattle, it was freezing at nighttime, no matter what season it was.