Chapter 5 | Imagine Not Being Able To Appreciate "Art"

~
"Sometimes memories sneak out my eyes
and roll down my cheeks"
~

Lying awake, I can't seem to sleep. I've been staring at the ceiling for the past three hours, wishing for sleep, but not getting any. I check my phone, seeing that it's six-thirty in the morning, and sigh.

Getting out of bed, I walk over to my closet to grab a cardigan, and as I do, I hear something fall, but ignore it before walking outside.

The early morning air greets me and I witness the pink and yellow sky as the sun rises.

I move to sit in the chair closest to me, pulling my legs up to my chest.

Letting my thoughts wander, I sigh again before pulling my messy hair out of my face. Why does it all have to hurt so bad?

As I'm taking in the beautiful morning, I almost get a heart attack when my phone violently starts ringing.

Sierra is calling me, which really confuses me because out of everyone, she's the one who sleeps till noon on Saturdays.

"Hello?"

"We're outside, open the door." Sierra's voice says.

"We?" I question.

"You'll see. Just come let us in."

I barely unlock the door, before it flies open, Sierra waltzing in followed by the rest of my chaotic friends.

"For you," Austin says, handing me my favorite Starbucks coffee, caramel ribbon crunch.

"Also for you." he repeats, placing a box of doughnuts in my other hand.

I can't help but smile and thank him.

"Don't get the wrong idea Em, I paid for it." Chase says, rolling his eyes.

"Excuse me? I paid for the doughnuts." Austin says, causing a scoff to come from Travis.

"After taking like three!" Travis practically yells.

"Guys! People are asleep!" Kara shushes.

"Kara's right, let's go to my room." I say, not wanting the rest of my family to wake up.

"Sounds good to me." Austin says, rushing to the stairs. He has this weird thing of always beating everyone up the stairs when he's at my house. He's an idiot.

Once we're all in my room, I make sure to shut the door quietly before walking towards my bed.

"So how're you feeling Em?" Travis asks, sitting on my floor.

"I'm fine." I say, faking a smile.

"Don't feed us that bull. We all know that's not true." Dwight says, the guys nodding with him.

"I'm honestly fine. It's just another day." I say, lying through my teeth. It most definitely isn't just another day.

"I don't believe you, but whatever you say." Travis says, looking at the door to the balcony as it opens.

Jake struts in, shirtless, looking like he just woke up. I glance over at Kara, seeing her cheeks beginning to heat up. Those two just need to stop playing around.

"What's going on?" Jake asks, his voice deep.

"We came to surprise our best friend on a rough day." Austin says, a smile on his face.

I smile at that. I seriously have the best friends.

Jake nods, coming over to sit by me.

"Uh ever heard of this thing called a shirt?" Kara asks, her face a bright shade of pink.