Chapter 17 | One Day You're Gonna Kill Us With Your Driving

~
"You may have to fight a battle
more than once to win it."
~

All I felt was anger.

Anger towards Mason. Anger towards Alex. But most of all...anger towards myself.

I let my guard down again. I let Alex in, and trusted him! I told myself that it would be okay to trust him, that no one can hurt me as much as Mason did.

But the truth is that Alex hurt me so much more than Mason. And now it's gonna take a miracle for me to ever let someone in again.

I feel a drop of rain hit my cheek and I sigh angrily, wiping it away. How freaking cliche. Let's have the rain come down on this shitty day too.

It doesn't take long for it to start pouring and I look to see a tree and run to take refuge.

Once I'm not getting soaked anymore, I grab my phone and decide to call someone.

My finger hovers over Sierra's contact.

Do I really want to tell her?

Tell her that she was right? That Alex was just an asshole the entire time?

That I let him in and he broke me too?

Thunder rumbles and lightning streaks the sky, answering my question for me.

I click call and she answers on the third ring.

"Hey! Aren't you supposed to be on a date right now?" she asks, and I feel anger rise in my chest again.

"Can you come get me?" I ask quietly, pushing Alex out of my mind.

"Is everything okay?" She says and I hear rustling in the background.

"Not really. It's currently pouring and I really don't wanna involve Dwight or Jake right now."

"Of course, I'm on my way. Just send your location. Chase is with me, is it okay if he comes?"

Might as well get it over with now.

"Yeah, that's fine." I say, sending her my location.

She hangs up after promising she'll be here in five minutes, which doesn't surprise me. Sierra drives like a madwoman.

I lean back against the tree trunk and let out a sigh. An angry tear escapes from my eye and I wipe it away frustratedly.

They don't deserve my tears.

Mason doesn't get to win again.

And as much as I want to believe that, I can't help but feel like he already has. I trusted Alex. I trusted him so much to the point where I let him hold my hand, put an arm around me, hug me. I haven't trusted many people outside of my family and friends to do that since the incident with Mason.

And of course the first person I trust enough to do that again freaking shares genes with Mason.

What are the flipping odds?!

I scoff as another tear rolls down my face.

Why did I let him in so easily? 

Headlights pierce through the pouring rain and I look up to see Sierra's car pulling up to the side. I angrily walk up and open the back seat, slamming the door as I get in.

"Hey?" Sierra says cautiously.

Not like I blame her. I never react with so much hostility, but maybe it's time that I did.