Chapter 13 | Is There Anywhere I Can Purchase Normal Friends?

~
"There are wounds that never
show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds."
~

"Good morning Emma." Dr. Moore says the next day as I walk into his office. I was supposed to come in yesterday, but homecoming and everything was going on, so we rescheduled for today.

Last week, I didn't physically come into his office because I was in a lot of pain, so my mom forced me to do a video call with him during the week.

"Morning..." I mumble, taking a seat.

"How are you today?" He asks me, taking a seat in his chair.

I hesitate before answering. "I've been better."

"Do you want to elaborate on that?" He asks me.

Not really.

He takes my silence as an answer and begins to speak again.

"Okay, how about we switch things up today and do a little exercise?"

"Okay." I mumble, sighing to look out the window. His exercises are always the worst.

"In our last meeting virtually, we talked about the incident that occurred last week. You mentioned that Mason took things from you. What's something that he hasn't taken?"

"I don't know Dr. Moore...he took everything from me, and he still is." I say, sighing frustratedly.

"Define everything."

I look at him like he's dumb.

Isn't he the one with the degree here?

"I think you know what the definition of everything is." I tell him, rolling my eyes.

"Emma, despite what you may think, I cannot read your mind." He starts, putting down his notebook. "We have these sessions so that I can help you, and I genuinely do want to help you. So how about we start at a different angle?"

"Okay." I say, sighing.

"When this past incident happened with Mason, what did you feel he took from you?"

"My will to fight back."

He's quiet for a moment, forming the words he wants to say.

"Why did you feel that?"

Sighing, I look out the window. "He's stronger than me, taller than me, better than me. He's always going to be there. He's always going to hurt me. So what's the point of fighting back?"

"Because Emma, underneath all your emotional, and even physical, scars you are strong. Even the greatest of warriors get back up even if it looks hopeless. Even if it looks like they're going to lose. You are a warrior Emma, and you can't give up."

'~'

Warrior.

That word keeps repeating in my head since leaving Dr. Moore's office.

As I walk out to my car, my phone suddenly rings. I look down to see Travis' name and frown. He never calls me.

"Hello?"

"Hey Em." He says.

"Are you good?" I ask, opening my car door.

"Yeah! I was actually wondering if you wanted to get together and hang out? I know that you don't normally like to after therapy, but we never hang out."

I sigh, leaning back into my seat. He's right, a lot has happened these past few weeks and I feel like I never have any one-on-one time with the gang besides Dwight.