Chapter 23 | Y'all Wouldn't Be Able To Handle Me

~
"It's not what we have in life,
but rather who we have in our life that matters"
~

"Why can't I stay home? It's my birthday mom." I plead to my mom two weeks later.

"Because your education is important Emma." She says, passing me a plate of waffles.

"This is downright mean." I mutter, taking a bite of my waffles.

"You'll thank me one day dear." She says, smiling as she comes over to give me a hug.

"Happy birthday sweetheart, I love you." She says, and I smile as I lean into her hug.

"Thanks mom. I love you too."

"Now, where's the other twin?" She asks.

"Probably upstairs with Kara." I say, taking another bite.

Ever since her parents announced their divorce to her, she's practically been living here. Last I heard, her mom left the day after for another business trip and her dad just ignores her whenever she goes home to get some essentials that she needs.

I hate how much she's going through with them. I'm reminded every day how lucky I am to have parents who truly love me. When I look at Dwight and Travis and Kara, my heart breaks for them. I wish everyone could have the love from their parents that they deserve.

"Jacob Richardson! Put me down!" I hear Kara shriek, taking me from my thoughts.

I glance over to see Jake running down the stairs with Kara thrown over his shoulder like a bag of potatoes.

He puts her down when they reach the bottom of the stairs and she punches him.

"Damn baby, that hurt." Jake says, rubbing his arm.

"Just because it's your birthday doesn't mean I'm letting you off the hook." She says, rolling her eyes.

She meets my eyes and immediately runs over, wrapping her arms around me.

"Happy birthday my beautiful best friend." She says, and I smile as I hug her back.

"Thanks other beautiful best friend." I say back.

"Happy birthday sister." Jake says, wrapping me in a hug next.

"You too." I say, hugging him back.

"Ooo mom made waffles?" Jake asks, noticing my plate.

"Yes I did and I'm not to blame if Emma has eaten them all!" She yells from the living room.

"Emma, share! It's not just your birthday!" Jake says, reaching over to grab a waffle.

"Get your own Jake, these are mine!" I say, dragging the plate of waffles towards me.

"You do know I'm still technically older than you?!" He says, reaching over me.

"By one freaking minute Jake!" I practically yell, slapping his hand away.

"Twins..." Kara says, in a warning tone.

Our fighting is cut off by my phone ringing. From the sound of it I could automatically tell it was a FaceTime call.

I smile once I realize it's Jordan and answer.

"Happy birthday Em!" He says immediately and I smile.

"Thanks bubba!" I say back.

"Hey! I'm here too!" Jake says, coming into focus.

"Stop being so dramatic. I literally got off the phone with you like five minutes ago." Jordan says, rolling his eyes.

My phone starts vibrating again and I see the incoming call from Trevor.