0.9

NINE.
the pilots

☁️

"Excuse me, Miss Adalyn."

The voice of the friendly droid rang throughout the Hangar of the Rebel Base in Hoth. I tucked a loose strand of hair behind an ear, taking a sharp breath in. I stood up to face the droid, dusting off my freezing hands.

"3PO," I began, crossing my arms. "Do you need anything?"

"Well, it's Princess Leia," C-3PO announced, moving his mechanical arms around. "She's been trying to get you on the communicator."

I quickly dug inside my jacket, searching for my comlink. I cursed under my breath when I felt nothing inside my pockets -- I had left it back in my quarters. "I forgot to bring it with me, sorry." I huffed, "What does she need?"

"Oh. Well, Princess Leia is wondering about Master Luke -- he hasn't come back yet," 3PO said, causing my eyes to widen. R2-D2, the droid that was behind him, beeped sadly. "And nobody knows where he is."

"What? What do you mean nobody?" I snapped angrily, panic rising in my body. I looked around the Hangar, my head aching, "And where's Han?"

"Ah, well, you see.." The droid started nervously. I gave him a menacing stare, prompting him to speak up again. "I-I was ordered not to tell you this, but," The droid continued. "Han Solo has left to find Master Luke."

".. What?" My heart dropped. I leaned up against a wall and pinched the bridge of my nose, taking a couple of seconds to process everything. I mumbled, "Solo, you son of a.."

Before I could finish my thoughts, I pushed myself away from the wall and quickly gathered up my things, throwing a bag over my shoulder. 3PO took a step closer to me and asked anxiously, "If I may, where are you--"

"I'm going after them." I said grimly, zipping up my jacket.

R2 rolled up closer to me and shook his head, panicking. 3PO nodded warily, "Miss Adalyn, I wouldn't recommend going out in this weather--"

"I'll be fine," I announced, grasping onto my bag's strap. "I won't be long, I promise--"

"3PO's right."

As if on cue, a soft voice appeared behind me. I spun around sharply, standing face-to-face with the princess herself. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"I have to go after them, Leia," I said, my knuckles turning white as I clutched onto my bag's strap tightly. "They're going to die out there if--!"

"And so will you!" Leia finally snapped, making my shoulders drop. She sighed, "It's best if you stay here." She rubbed her tired eyes, "Please, you have to trust me, Lyn."

I paused for a moment and sucked in a bunch of air, gazing back at the droids next to me. I ran my fingers through my hair and shook my head. I dropped my bag onto the floor, a lump forming in my throat. I clenched my fists.

".. Fine."

• • •

"Luke!"

I rushed into the recovery room inside the medical center with a concerned expression on my face. I made my way to his bed and examined his injured features gingerly. He sat up, beaming at the sight of me.