1.4

FOURTEEN.
the quarren's ship

🔹️🔹️🔹️

My breath was warm against the cold air. I closed my eyes, trying to ignore the loud exchanges and stares between the Quarrens on their ship. I took in the fresh smell of the sea, letting my nerves die down.

I heard heavy footsteps approaching me from behind until they finally stopped next to me. I scanned my surroundings and loosened my shoulders as Din stood beside me, gazing out into the large body of water before us. I scoffed.

"You sure about this?"

He huffed, "About what?"

"About this." I clarified, darting my eyes around the large ship. Din thought for a second, then he shrugged his shoulders.

"Too late to turn back now."

I slowly nodded in response, thinking quietly to myself. I folded my arms and rested them atop the ship's ramp. Din noticed my stiffness and decided to speak out.

"Something's bothering you."

It wasn't a question.

"I've been thinking about you," I muttered aloud, feeling heavy. He seemed taken aback by this and studied my eyes gently. "We've been through so much together, yet it feels like I barely even know you.. let alone what we are."

"We're both the guardians of the kid -- his protectors."

".. I mean, outside of that." I began to feel flustered. "What are we?"

Just then, a tall figure approached us from across the ship.

'Great timing..'

The Quarren inclined himself towards me, leaning his forearm next to mine on the ramp. He chuckled darkly.

"So, what's a girl like you doing here on this ship?" He took a quick glance at Din. "You with him?"

I hummed, turning my head towards the alien. I looked him right in the eyes, "You got a problem with that?"

"Aye, that's too bad. A weak lady like you don't belong here." He answered, drawing in closer to me. Din couldn't hold back his jealousy any longer and swiftly took a step in front of me.

"You piece of sh--"

I placed my hand on Din's shoulder and pulled him back before he could start anything. I whispered, "Let me handle this." I cocked my head to the side and faced the alien, "Trust me, you don't want to start anything. You might just regret it."

I gently pushed the alien backward, causing him to stumble on his feet. The Quarren complained under his breath, glaring. "I don't want to start anything with ya lads. I'm merely here for some company on this ship." He cleared his throat and eventually leaned his whole body against the ramp.

After a long moment of silence, he finally asked, "Oh, yeah. You folks ever see a mamacore eat? Quite a sight.. the child might take an interest."

Din rolled his head while I peered away with annoyance, unable to understand why he kept persisting. The Mandalorian clenched his fists, and the child cooed in the background. The Quarren continued, "You two should take a look." He began walking towards a watery hold in the middle of the ship, inviting us, "Come on over here; it don't bite."

Din leaned down towards me and mumbled in my ear deeply, "Stay close."

A smirk formed on my lips, and we followed the alien, the child's crib right behind us. The Quarren bent back against a pole and grabbed onto a rope that held up a net filled with food for the mamacore.