Chapter 16 - Hard decisions

After that, the music stopped playing and everyone started saying their goodbyes and heading for the exit. 

"Ready to go?" Knox walked over and asked me. 

"Yeah," I nodded, following him out. 

He gave the valet his ticket and we stood there in silence while they brought the car around and then he opened the door for me and I got in. 

There was an awkward silence between us during the car ride, as if neither of us knew what to say. Something tonight had changed between us. I could feel it. I had felt so connected to him at the gala when we were talking about our shared experience of losing a family member, but then it felt like he closed down again.  

We rode in silence, listening to the radio on the short ride back to my apartment. When he pulled up out front and put the car in park, I looked over and studied his face as he looked straight ahead. 

"Knox?" 

He turned and looked at me. "Yeah?" he asked. 

I hesitated before saying, "Did I do something wrong? Are you mad at me?" 

He scrunched up his face in confusion. "No, why would you think that?" 

"Because, earlier I thought we were having a good time and it felt like there was a spark between us. But ever since we danced together you've been really quiet and giving me the silent treatment." 

He took a deep breath in and exhaled. "Sorry about that, I didn't mean to. I just had a lot on my mind."

I sat there in his car, thinking about getting out and going inside, but then I hesitated. After seeing him dance with that beautiful blonde I knew I had to speak up and tell him how I felt before he found someone else. A guy like him wouldn't be single long and I didn't want to miss my chance. I needed to know once and for all if he felt the same way about me. 

"Knox. I have to tell you something and get it off my chest," I said, looking over at him.  "When I came to your apartment that day and thought you had a pregnant girlfriend, it was the worst feeling in the world." I looked down at my hands and said, "I was crushed and I've been miserable ever since. When I found out today that it wasn't true, that was the happiest I've felt in a long time." 

I took a deep breath in, gathering up my courage before looking back up at him. "The best parts of my day are when I get a text from you in the morning and before I go to bed. You have no idea how much I look forward to those texts and how much fun I had watching the Lakers game with you. It seems like I always enjoy the time I spend with you." 

My smile faded as I said, "Just the thought of my court case being over and not having an excuse to see you anymore makes me feel sad because you've become someone really special to me." 

I took a deep breath in and let it out before saying, "What I'm trying to say is, I like you. I like you a lot and I just need to know if you feel the same way about me, because not knowing is killing me." 

Knox was looking over at me, but he wasn't saying anything. He finally hung his head, hesitating. He looked like he was searching for the right words to say. 

I couldn't take it anymore.  "Please say something," I said quietly.

He put his hands on the steering wheel and then laid his head on it and let out a tortured groan. It felt like a punch in the stomach. 

"Wow, I guess that's a no then," I said swallowing hard, feeling my eyes burning with tears but I blinked them away. I went to open the car door to get out but he grabbed my wrist to stop me.