Chapter 62 - Confronting Peggy

***** Knox's Point of View *****

"What the hell is going on in here?" Peggy asked, looking back and forth between us. "If I didn't know any better, I'd think you two were plotting against me. But you'd never do that, would you?" she asked, looking at Scott with narrowed eyes, slowly lifting a gun from her side and pointing it at him.

His eyes widened and his eyebrows raised. He slowly leaned down and dropped the gun he was holding onto the floor in front of him, raising his hands up in defeat.

"Of course I wouldn't. I love you," he said in a trembling voice. "You know that Peggy. What you and I have is really special."

His words didn't sound very convincing.

She rolled her eyes and scoffed. "Yeah, well I've heard that before. You know what? You're just like Austin, a two-faced, lying sack of shit."

Scott looked taken aback and offended by her harsh words. "Babe. You know I love you more than I've ever loved anyone before. I've told you SO many times, so don't start to doubt what the two of us have. It's just your mind playing tricks on you because you need your medicine."

"What? My mind playing tricks on me!?" she shouted, pointing the gun at him more aggressively. "Don't fucking treat me like some crazy person Scott! I'm not and you know that! You of all people know the hell I've been through!" she shouted angrily.

He took a step backwards. "That's not what I meant by that. You're right. You're not crazy at all. I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought you were," he said softly, slowly taking a step towards her with his hands still up.

"Back up!" she shouted. "Don't come any closer, either of you!" Then she pointed the gun at me and said, "I've already shot you once Knox. Don't think I won't do it again, and this time I'll aim for the head instead of the chest so your damn bulletproof vest can't save you."

As she said that, she lifted the gun and pointed it directly at my head. It wasn't the first time a gun had been pointed at me, or even the hundredth, but this time felt different. All I could think about in that moment was that I needed to be here for Charlie and for Elodie, and Juni. I couldn't let it end like this. I had to do something, anything.

I did the first thing that came to my mind. I pointed behind her and shouted, "WATCH OUT!"

That was the oldest trick in the book, but I was desperate and didn't have a lot of options.

She jumped and as she turned to look behind her I lunged forward and shoved her arm to the side, grabbing onto her wrist with my other hand.

As I was fighting to pry the gun from her hand, she squeezed the trigger and a bang went off that was so loud that it echoed through the room, piercing my eardrum and making my ears ring.

I finally got the gun away from her hand and turned it around, pointing it at her. Then she looked behind me and her eyes widened and she gasped, covering her mouth with her hands in horror. I kept the mouth gun pointed at her as I turned my body and saw Scott standing there clutching his stomach and there was a red pool of blood on his white shirt.

He slowly lowered down and dropped to his knees, coughing as blood ran down the side of his mouth.

Peggy ran past me over to him and knelt down, looking into his eyes and cupping his face in her hands.

"Scott! I'm so sorry!" she sobbed. "What have I done?"

Scott just looked at her for a few seconds before shaking his head. "This is all your fault Peggy," he said in a weak, gravelly voice. "All of this. You can't help but destroy everything and everyone you touch."