Chapter 31 - Knox takes the Stand

"Your honor. I'd like to request a recess so we can prepare for our next witness," Jackson said and the judge agreed, banging the gavel against the wood block.

"We'll take a quick recess. Five minutes," he announced.

Everyone got up and started leaving the room and me, Jackson and Knox met up in a corner of the hallway, far away from everyone else to talk.

"Man that Stan guy's really good," Jackson grumbled, rubbing his hands over his face and letting out a frustrated exhale. "He's making them question the motives of my two key witnesses. If I didn't know you and the chief, he might have had me questioning you myself. My head is spinning right now."

"Dude calm down," Knox said putting his hands on Jackson's shoulders and looking at him "That guy's all smoke and mirrors. He's trying to deflect from the actual facts of this case, because everything he's saying is total bullshit and he knows it. We just need to bring the jury's focus back to the cold hard facts that can be proven."

Jackson took in a deep breath and exhaled.

"You're right man. You're completely right. I just lost focus for a second, but I'm back on track now. We can do this," Jackson said.

"Yes we can," Knox agreed, patting him on the shoulder. "When you interrogate me, ask what led me to the conclusion that she was the catfish so I can remind them of the evidence. Ask me something so I have an excuse to bring up the fact that the Chief and I have never been under a review. Our credibility is a lot higher than a woman who's gone off the deep end and is obviously mentally ill."

"I will," Jackson nodded. "Thanks Knox. I really needed that," he said with a sigh.

"No problem. We've got this," Knox smiled, bumping Jackson's knuckles with his.

Then he wrapped an arm around my shoulder and kissed the top of my head as we headed back towards the courtroom.

The room quickly filled back up and the judge took his seat.

Jackson stood up and said, "I'd like to call my final witness your honor. I want to call Detective Knox Hendrix to the stand."

Knox gave my hand a squeeze, his eyes locking onto mine for a second before he got up and walked up to the stand. He raised his right hand and swore to tell the truth before sitting down.

"Knox how long have you been a detective for the Seattle Police Department?"

"Four years."

"During those four years, you ever been under a review before for actions you took during an investigation?" Jackson asked.

"No I haven't," he said shaking his head.

"How many cases have you solved all together?"

"Well over a hundred," Knox stated.

"So over a HUNDRED times you've solved cases without anyone questioning your methods or integrity?"

"Yes."

"Knox, what evidence did you have that led you to the conclusion that Peggy was the catfish?"

"There was actually a lot of evidence. Elodie's pictures that were used for the catfish profile were found saved on the hard drive of Peggy's computer. Her IP address matched the computer that was used to log in to the catfish's social media accounts. We created a fake profile on Facebook for a rich guy that we thought would be the catfish's dream man to lure them out of hiding. After talking to her for a couple months as this man she finally agreed to meet and Peggy is the one that showed up. After she was arrested she confessed to everything in the interrogation room and gave a very detailed account of how she did all of it," Knox told him.