3. Fifty-three

Bright, sunny beach greeted Rowan once more. Just like her last visit, she awoke on the white sand of the shore. Her mind hadn't fully processed what was going on, but it immediately clicked when she saw the blue ocean in front of her. A wave of deja vu washed over her as she sat up, looking around. 

She looked down at her hands in realization. She was mildly perplexed as to how she was back in the same dream as last time. Was it possible for it to feel the exact same? Weren't dreams supposed to be different every time? She could've been in a lucid dream. It wasn't an impossible thought to her. But as she studied her hands, she noticed how real they looked. 

It wasn't a dream.

She was more disturbed than anything. A small sense of dread overtook her when she thought she was living out her dreams like Groundhog Day. What if she was to wake up and repeat everything all over again? 

"Calm down, calm down," Rowan repeated to herself as she placed her hands to her chest. She wasn't going to panic. Not yet, at least. Before she did so, she wanted to figure out what was going on. It also helped that the ocean stood beyond her with reassurance. The gentle waves of the water lopping onto the smooth sand calmed her down for the most part. The vast, blue oceans always helped her more than anything else. 

Her mind went to the mysterious stranger she had spoken to the previous night. Would she get to see him? Would he still be there?

Rowan's attention went straight to the dock where she had talked to Konala in her previous "dream" but saw that the gold-trimmed, white door stood where it appeared last time. Her interest piqued as she stood up, dusted herself off, and walked to the dock. 

Konala had remained nowhere in sight, which left Rowan with a nagging feeling of unease. Where had he gone, and was he okay? As comforting as this "dream" was, she couldn't help but feel there was an undertone of something much more sinister beyond her consciousness. The beach she was standing on was eerily still. It was almost as if she were in a waiting room, ready to be admitted inside. 

Rowan suddenly felt light-headed and didn't like the vibe the beach gave off. Her paradise quickly turned sour, and she realized she didn't want to remain somewhere so lifeless. It reminded her too much of the waiting room at the hospital. She did not like the hospital...not one bit.

She focused her attention on the door that was standing in front of her. Just like last time, it beckoned her to open it. She placed her hand onto the cold surface of the gold doorknob and hesitated. The man she was most likely about to see, what if he was a real person? Was he in a lucid dream as well? Or was he a mere figment of Rowan's imagination?

She quickly pushed all her thoughts away. She didn't care what was beyond the door; she just wanted to escape this ghostly beach. She let out an uneasy breath before pushing the door open. 

A wave of relief washed over her when the familiar features of the room welcomed her. The characteristics remained the same as last time: bright sunshine coming through the curtains, the stillness in the air, and the creaking of worn floorboards. The only thing that had changed was the stranger. 

He had situated himself on the bed, criss-cross, with an acoustic guitar balanced in his lap. He seemed absorbed into the soft music he was making. Rowan stood in the doorway, watching him in awe. He plucked each guitar string with his glove-clad fingers as his other hand worked chords and frets. His blonde dreads hung around his face, causing his features to be covered up halfway. From what Rowan could see, he remained engrossed in every sound the instrument had to offer. 

He seemed completely and utterly at peace with himself.

Rowan was entranced, to say the least. Of course, she had heard someone play the guitar before, but this was different. There was almost a magical tone to the notes that were buzzing through the air. With each new sound came a new, wondrous sensation Rowan had never experienced in her life. And she didn't know to be terrified or in complete bliss.