28. Tomorrow

"Roja, boss wants to talk to you."

Rowan snapped her head in the doorway of the lab, looking at Markus with wide eyes.

She was in the middle of writing down notes, looking at water samples and PH levels. Right as she started on documentation, Markus stopped her. 

She held her hand to her chest, staring at Markus with surprise. "Me?"

Markus nodded. "Well, he wants both of us, actually."

She put her pen down, her lips shaping into a pensive yet curious frown as she stood up.

Cautiously, she walked over to Markus, who shared the same curiosity as she did. Together, they walked from the labs to the office they hardly ever visited.

'I don't think we're in trouble,' Rowan thought to herself. 'We haven't done anything wrong that I know of, so what did he want?'

Rowan looked up at Markus, nudging him on the shoulder.

"Wha-"

"I don't know," Markus answered honestly. "Hopefully, it's just business-related...unless he's decided that he doesn't want us on the team..."

Rowan gulped, turning her eyes to the ground as she walked alongside Markus.

"Well, that was reassuring."

The boss wasn't to be bothered. Dr. Sheehan only went out of his way to discuss business. Otherwise, he was a recluse, locked in his office as he took phone calls and worked. Brief and to the point, Rowan's boss was never interested in small talk. 

Rowan and Markus were requested to his office before, much like the second time because he appointed them Konala and Sadie's primary caretakers. On their off days, they rotated through other caretakers, but they provided the information for the mammals. 

As they walked, Rowan couldn't help but feel it had something to do with the dolphins. Dr. Sheehan never called them in unless it was absolutely necessary. 

With now clammy hands, Rowan walked alongside Markus, reaching the door to their boss's office.

"It will be okay," Markus answered, attempting to reassure himself and Rowan. 

With a sigh, Rowan faced the door. Before they could open the door, the boss called from inside the room. They didn't even have to knock for him to say, 'come in.'

Markus was the one to reach down and twist the doorknob. Gently, he pushed the door open, ushering Rowan in so he could close the door.

Rowan made eye contact with the boss as his handsome, dark eyes bored into her face. She was always intimidated when she had to talk to him; his authority was unwavering. 

The office was dark, merely a lamp and window giving the room any light. The window itself was closed due to the chill of winter air, but it had a good view of most large marine animals that circled their tanks.

Rowan walked across the beige carpet, reaching the two chairs, which sat ahead of their boss' desk. She cleared her throat, attempting to muster her voice.

The air was tense, too tense. Dr. Sheehan didn't bother greeting the pair as they stood, shoulder to shoulder. He looked between Rowan and Markus, his eyes showing no hint of emotion.

"Sir," Rowan began, her voice modestly shaking. "You wanted us?"

Dr. Sheehan shook his head, his desk chair bobbing with each movement he made. He held his hand out, gesturing to the two stiff chairs in front of him.