31. Commitment

"It's so...beautiful," Layne sighed as his blue eyes stared onto the horizon of the ocean and shoreline. They didn't leave the sight, not even bothering to look at Rowan as she sat next to him. Although, it was tempting to stare at her the whole time she was with him.

"I couldn't agree more," Rowan answered from beside him, her chin balanced on the tops of her knees. 

Rowan found her hand occupied by Layne's, holding each other with large quantities of comfort and care. Together, they looked out beyond the horizon, watching as the ocean's edges faded into neverending white and the sand disappearing behind a curtain of uncertainty. 

"So this whole time, I've lived on a beach without even knowing it?" Layne asked, looking down at Rowan for a split second before turning to look at the ocean once more.

Rowan didn't know how to answer him. Of course, she would say he lived on a beach, but that wouldn't explain the oddly placed gold-trimmed door on the dock. There were no walls, no floors, no roof, just a door that appeared out of thin air. Yet, she couldn't find an explanation for him not to live on the beach because if he didn't find solace on the shore, then where was he, really?

She was as clueless as he was.

"I'm not sure..." she said, her voice drawn out and doubtful. "If you could see the sides of the doors, then you would know how...weird your situation is."

He looked at her, cocking his head to the side. "Huh?"

Rowan looked out at the dock, pointing to the sides of the door. "There's nothing here besides this door and the dock."

He looked down at his lap, his brows furrowing together. "Well, that isn't something you see every day."

Rowan let out an amused breath. "Yeah, it definitely isn't."

Layne uncrossed his legs, leaning over to nudge Rowan on the shoulder. With their hands still intertwined, he looked over at her with a glimmer in his eyes. She looked at him, too, wondering what he was thinking.

An unidentified emotion swam through his irises, seemingly puzzling Rowan. Usually, she could tell what was on his mind, but this time, she hadn't the slightest clue. The only thing she could focus on was his flawless features and sparkling eyes. That was enough to distract her from asking what was wrong with him.

"Hey," he said in a hushed voice. His hand tightened in hers before his head found itself on her shoulder, still managing to look up at the side of her face. 

Rowan smiled, her face turning pink at their close proximity. "Hello."

Layne contently sighed before downcasting his eyes to their hands. He pursed his lips before looking up at Rowan once more. "You're pretty great."

She chuckled, relaxing under his weight as they stared out at the ocean. "You are, too, Layne."

"But you're really great," he whispered, looking up at her quickly before resuming his original position. "Like...wow."

He placed their hands in his lap as he ran his thumb along the top of her hand. A meager shiver of pleasure ran up her spine as she leaned into his touch.

"I could say the same for yourself," Rowan hummed, leaning her head on top of his. They both sighed, enjoying the touch of the other as they stared out at the sunny coast.

They were silent, merely relishing in each other's company. The stillness wasn't heavy or suffocating. If anything, it was freeing and inviting all at once. It made Rowan want to sit with him for the rest of her life.

"I really don't know what I'd do without you," Layne mumbled from beside her. He didn't move, didn't adjust or anything. He solely looked out of the doorframe like he didn't say anything at all.