14. Carnations

"Remember what I said, Rowan, no going near the rednecks. They may bite," Markus pointedly listed his opinion through Rowan's phone.

She rolled her eyes as she wheeled her luggage through the boarding bridge, a rhythmic stride in her step. 

Rowan woke up bright-eyed and "bushy-tailed" as she prepared herself for her trip to Tennessee. A six-hour journey awaited her in the plane, and she had planned accordingly to her long travel.

She brought earbuds so she could listen to music. For obvious reasons, she wanted to listen to Alice in Chains, and while she was at it, listen to a few other bands. 

Not only did she have the company of music, but she also packed a book. Specifically, she brought Stephen King's 'The Shining.' The book was long, drawn-out, and full of suspense. Therefore, it would last her the duration of the trip. Though she loved King's works and literature, he eventually grew repetitive and overexplained. Hopefully, the book would provide her with some means of entertainment even if it did grow tiring.

It didn't take much for her to be content, however. Those were the only things she brought alongside her to keep her mind occupied. She figured she could nap if she grew bored.

"You don't have to worry about that. I radiate enough gay energy to repel anyone wearin' a cowboy hat or camouflage," Rowan stated matter-of-factly. "Unless I get hate-crimed. That's a whole other different story."

"And make sure to maintain a safe space between anyone with buck teeth. They won't be wearing masks anyway," Markus explained. "Oh! Don't go to any rodeos, either. Lord knows I need you around those cowboy boot-loving motherfu-"

"Markus," Rowan began, silencing him. "You know not everyone there is like that, right?"

"Well, yeah, but there's more there! You are going to the south, after all."

"Have you ever even been to the south?"

"Only when I did some marine training in Alabama," he hummed in thought. "Ew, I'm never going back there. You know I saw a giant pig statue there, right? Like why? Is that normal there?"

Rowan let out a lighthearted chuckle as she entered the plane. It was no surprise that barely anyone showed up to fly, considering the world's circumstances. If there were, it was businessmen or wanderers. Overall, not many passengers would be traveling with her.

"Tennessee isn't Alabama, Markus," she answered with a giggle. "Although they are closely related to each other, not everyone in Tennessee wears cowboy hats and whatnot. Besides, where I'm going is a little more liberal than other places in Tennessee."

"Yeah, but I heard you mention Luna lived in a more rich district than most...What was the name? Uh..."

"Farragut?" Rowan answered for him.

"Yes! Yes, that," Markus noted. "I heard you mention a bunch of Karens living there..."

Rowan rolled her eyes. "Because there are. I swear they drive me up the wall."

Luna's home resided in a town between two counties in the Knoxville metropolitan area called Farragut. Although it was known for its snooty heir and country clubs, Luna found herself not caring in the slightest of those things. She purchased a home with her ex-husband, and with him providing her money monthly, she had yet to move out.

In Rowan's opinion, she would've much rather lived in a "Karen County" than a Hicktown, though it never escaped her, so it seemed.

"Well, at least you'll only be there for a couple of days, then you can come back to the good ol' city of Seattle!"