CHAPTER SEVEN -- 𝐡𝐨𝐣𝐢 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐬𝐭

hoji knows bestততততত

hoji knows best
ততততত

The sweet smell of jasmine leafs swirls in the air along with the soothing bliss of eucalyptus. She swore she felt fine, that it was one of many coughs, but thanks to Sokka, Hoji found his sister hard to believe. It was a constant battle of Hika proving her health and Hoji dismissing whatever lie she told.

For some, lying came naturally, spilling out of there mouths like rich honey, but Hika couldn't lie for her life. From the seemingly perfect posture she never portrays helping act out her untruthful tales and the irritation that's masked with a smile, Hika's lies are less like smooth silky sugar and more like rocky slopes on an edgy mountain side.

Yet the soothing scent of the tea Hoji tentatively stirs already starts to ease the ache in her muscles. She wouldn't deny the fact that it'd help coat her throat and help her cough or that it'd lower her fever, but she'll continue to deny Hoji's idea of her being 'sick'.

It was just allergies. She always had a cough or a headache around this time of year, so this 'sickness' is really no big deal.

She waits until Hoji looks up from the pot that cackles over the fire. She didn't feel like earthbending, nor did she feel like attempting to move from where she is so comfortably wrapped in blankets.

Despite the cold breeze that traps itself inside the cave, Hoji had spared his own blanket for her, insisting that she kept it draped over her shoulders. So she did.

The green blanket swaddles Hika as she sits cross legged across her brother, soaking in the fires warmth while she takes deep breathes of the aroma of fresh tea.

They found the perfect spot to stop and rest. The grey stone walls entrap any heat from the kindling flame in the center of the room, and despite the soft breeze from inside the cave-like structure-- the perfectly square build of the room lets her know it isn't a natural made cave-- most of the wind is kept out.

The girl shudders, not because of a cool draft, but as an attempt to dissolve the aching tension in her shoulders. Hika's eyes shift up to her brother to check and see if he saw it.

Spirits forbid she gives him another reason to believe she's sick.

Which she's not.

Hoji's jade eyes match with her with what could've been a mirrored look if he wasn't so worried. His freckled cheeks, darkened by days in the sun, keep a still face, if anything a sympathetic frown.

Hoji fell sick the most out of any of their siblings. It was as if every month he caught a fever and a cough. That, or a headache and a sneeze, so if anyone would know the denial she was so sure of keeping, it was him.

Part of it makes Hika feel bad for him. He didn't want her feeling sick-- she knew the feeling-- yet Hika wouldn't let him help her.

Soon enough, he'll guilt trip her into taking a nap or accepting some tea, which she'd do on normal occasions, but would now deny out of spite.