CHAPTER TEN -- 𝐚 𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐜𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞

a man of scienceততততত

a man of
science
ততততত

The group of villagers were glaring up at the sky, it's unblemished blue color dotted with white fluffs of cotton. It was a calm day, and save for the storm earlier that morning, nothing had happened, not a single bump in the day's flawless appearance.

Even Hika thought the day was going swell. Save for the fortune-teller, nothing all to eventful had happened. Over all, she was glad they came to the village.

Mainly because she could score some fresh bell peppers for diner tonight as well as some fruits if she wanted to make some tarts, but there were other reasons. They just didn't make Hika as happy as the opportunity to bake.

Hika's pulled from her inner thoughts as Katara questions the villagers behavior. It was rather odd, seeing as everyone seemed to be glued to the sky, but Hika had disregarded it. This entire village was weird, what was another odd happening?

"What's with the sky?" Katara asks.

One of the villagers smiles, the same one they found evading the platypus-bear. "We are waiting for Aunt Wu to come and read the clouds to predict the fate of the whole village."

Aang smiles, innocently pointing up at a cloud. "That cloud kind of looks like a fluffy bunny."

"You better hope that's not a bunny! The fluffy bunny cloud forecasts doom and destruction." The elderly man from before snaps, his worry aimed more towards aang than the clouds.

Sokka presses his thumb and forefinger on his forehead, rubbing between his eyebrows as a look of disgust grows on his face. "Do you even hear yourself?" He flicks out his arm, glaring up at the naive man.

One of the women of the village, clad in common robes of a beautiful teal color, points to a mountain in the background. "The cloud reading will tell us if Mount Makapu will remain dormant for another year or if it will erupt."

The mountain strikes the sky, breaking past the lines of clouds with a glorious peak. Snow caps the top of it, reminding Hika of the mountains back home. There were far more that encircled her little farm, but this was was just as large as the most awe-striking peak that she grew used to.

"We used to have a tradition once a year of going up the mountain to check the volcano ourselves." The old man smiles, a bright grin of remembrance. "But every since Aunt Wu moved to the village twenty years ago, we have a tradition of not doing that."

"I can't believe you would trust your lives to that crazy, old woman's superstition!" Says Sokka.

Hika ignores the rest of Sokka's bickering, rather settling her eyes on her brother. The boy kneels down in front of a child, using his earthbending to create a small statue of one of the villages local turkey-duck. The boy laughs, and a smile grows on Hoji's face.