Chapter 8

Alfred's alarm clock went off at 7:30am. He yawned and stretched, his salt and peppered hair askew in different directions. He got up out of bed, keen to get ready for another day of work. He ambled into his tidy kitchen when he heard gentle snores drifting out from his spare room.

'Daniel!' He exclaimed loudly in his head. He'd completely forgotten he was staying here, and that they'd both taken the rest of the week off.

The most pressing question bounced to the forefront of Alfred's mind. 'Had Daniel wet himself last night?'

This would be a game-changer, once he had that boy in nappies or pull-ups, he'd truly be a boy. Alfred's boy.

Alfred wandered out from the kitchen and paused outside of Danny's room, reflecting on their progress so far. He'd already won him over with most of the toys and activities and Daniel was relatively enthusiastic about using them. Alfred just needed Danny to subject himself to wearing nappies and he would have won.

Alfred knocked lightly on the bedroom door. "Daniel?" he said, he pushed the door wider and strode into the room, crossing the burnt orange rug to the double bed nestled in the corner. Alfred loomed over the sleeping boy and gently started shaking him.

"Daniel. Time to wake up."

Daniel, in a half-asleep stupor, pushed Alfred away.

"Danny, uptime. We've got things to do!"

Alfred began peeling back the covers. It was the moment of truth, had that old warm water trick worked. Alfred held his breath.

He looked around, the bed didn't have a big round wet patch on it. Danny hadn't wet himself.

Mildly disappointed, Alfred began to hoist the reluctant Daniel out of his bed. Then Alfred's mind whirred, he thought back to his previous boys and recollected that it was possible Daniel had only wet himself a little bit, and naturally, he felt he ought to check.

Alfred ambled his hands across Danny's pyjama-clad bottom, in a sporadic way that wouldn't arouse too much suspicion. There were no wet-spots. Alfred took a deep breath and plastered a cheery smile across his face to hide his further disappointment.

He recognised that the warm water trick couldn't guarantee success, but Alfred felt deflated all the same.

"Did you sleep well, Danny?" Alfred asked, with a slightly dejected tone in his voice.

"Mmmhmm" Danny mumbled, trying to get back under the covers.

"Ohh no you don't!" Alfred tore off the covers and stashed them on the dresser.

Despite his disappointment at the lack of bedwetting results, Alfred was a devout follower of 'Carpe Diem', and they had things to achieve that day.

"Up time. We've got things to do in town"

Daniel didn't move or respond.

Alfred shifted his weight and pulled Daniel onto his feet. "Go brush your teeth and wash your face. Then come and get breakfast." Alfred said, giving Danny a little push towards the door.

Danny complied and slowly staggered out of his room and towards the bathroom. Alfred followed suit before veering right into the Kitchen.

Alfred poured 2 bowls of granola and topped one with milk. He left the bottle of milk next to the other bowl so that Daniel could pour his himself.

Before long, Danny waltzed in, looking a lot more awake and fresh-faced than he had been. He looked down and the bowl and made a face.

"What's the matter?" Alfred asked, noticing the disgust on Danny's face.